View Single Post
Old 06-27-2019, 09:06 AM   #105
molson
General Manager

I thought Obama promised too much, and then when he couldn't deliver, the response was just that the Republicans were obstructionist, and I guess, they didn't realize Obama wasn't running for King.

I'd like to hear more about the practicalities in passing some of this proposed legislation. It seems like there's a fight over far left and more moderate left, like you'd expect, but I'm not sure how much that really matters when more moderately progressive legislation is so much more likely. I guess we're all just going to continue to assume that the U.S. will have a one party system soon, but, what would a Warren presidency look like with a controlled or partly controlled GOP Congress? Is she willing to settle for less or will she obstruct anything that isn't everything she wants? What are the candidates willing to do, and not willing to do, outside of Congress, as far as executive orders and law and policy enforcement? Obama and the Dem congress of that time were criticized for being spineless - what would the alternative look like and what positive results would come from it? What type of progressive legislation is more likely with a hard-ass approach v. a reaching-across-the-aisle approach and why (and vice versa)? Would a moderate candidate veto or otherwise try to obstruct more progressive legislation if it did find the light of day? If Biden is too old and not progressive enough, how exactly do those things hinder the best legislative outcomes we can hope for? In other words, what are the practical differences between the candidates, if any?

Policy stances without context are of limited relevance. Though I guess they have the research that that's what gets people to the polls and what gets donations flowing.

Last edited by molson : 06-27-2019 at 09:38 AM.