Thread: 2014 MLB Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014, 05:39 PM   #442
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
The lineup had talent last year, just like it does this year. Even with Pujols missing much of the season and Hamilton slumping, they still had a what by any other hitter's standards would be a decent power hitting Hamilton, the aforementioned Trout, Trumbo, and Kendrick with a strong year, and JB Shuck having what I believe will turn out to be a career year. Bourjos and Calhoun saw time as well and played solidly when up/not hurt. The lineup underachiveed next to its talent, but it was still a strong lineup and that's why it did well. Scioscia did not mastermind some decent offense out of mish mash of crappy parts.

You have to remember I am not just talking about 2013. Warhammer brings up the specific catcher problem, going back to Napoli-Mathis. The front office finally had to fix the Scioscia defensive catcher playing time problem by releasing Mathis and signing Iannetta, insuring Scioscia only had offensive options there, along with Conger.

He has some talented arms on the staff--and they have generally underperformed for him. Veteran pitchers rarely exceed their past performances and usually underachieve, and young pitchers when he has them don't develop into anything but inconsistent players. Look at Jordan Walden--he was lost under Scioscia's management and he has become a bulwark of Atlanta's pen. Fernando Rodney, while not exactly a rock of production with the Tigers, was solid there, came to the Angels and was abysmal, and then left for Tampa Bay and became a star closer the following season. Scioscia's handling of his pitchers in game has been pretty bad going back for some time now.

This team had 90+ win talent last season and was the pick by just about everyone to win the AL West, and if not do so, at least a cinch to get to the playoffs. Instead, they were under .500. They have had a payroll in the top 5 for 7-8 years now, but they haven't been to the postseason since 2009. That was under three different GMs. At some point, you have to look at the manager, too.

The people picking the Angels to win 90+ games were doing it based on Pujos and Hamilton being good. Not being "an ok power guy" No, being very, very good. They combined to produce 38 HR, 143 RBI. If people had assumed they were going to have an OPS comparable to Justin Smoak and JJ Hardy, I'm fairly certain nobody on the planet would have picked the Angels to win 90 games.

As I said earlier, maybe he's been there too long. Maybe you guys are right and his decisions are the reason the Angels are where they are. I look at that team and see this:

1) The best player on the planet
2) The two other "best" lineup regulars on the team looking slightly above average.
3) A pitching staff that has a decent front two and no clear cut reliable guy in the pen.

FWIW, I wasn't one who thought they would win last year even before the start of the season. This was essentially what I thought of them at that point. The only thing that gave me optimism was the depth Bourjas and Trumbo provided. Now that's gone and I see nothing to indicate the talent level is worth a crap.

Now, it's been three games. Hamilton and Puljos stay healthy and start to hit, I'll revise my opinion.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote