View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #64
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Georgia Open "Last Chance Meet" - Day 2

10+U 50 Back

Bear was the first to swim on the day, and he was very pumped about getting this cut. I reminded him not to overwork the stroke (like he did during the backstroke lap of the IM the day before). Bear got a great start and was swimming real well, but his turn while fine looked strange...then as he was approaching the wall he appeared to raise his head a bit for several strokes which slowed him down. I found out after the race he had swallowed water on the turn and was trying to clear it the entire second 25, but couldn't until he lifted his head. He finished with a 40.93, about 1 second slow...

Bailey's 50 back was a personal best...unfortunately, it was not a state cut. She managed to get to the wall in 39.38 further cutting into that state cut time, without getting it. She missed it by about half a second...

11/12 50 Back

Brett's 50 back was the best he had ever swum. From a time and form perspective. His feet were much higher in the water and his arm rotation show more urgency then normal. He'll have to get more comfortable with the stroke before we see the reflection of this improved form in his times, but he did manage a 42.38 which is a full second improvement.

-----------------------------------------------

10+U 50 Breast

As I mentioned before the start of the meet, Bear's breaststroke form isn't as strong as it was earlier in the year, and because of that I didn't expect him to improve his time. In this race, he did a nice job of moving forward and gliding rather than bobbing up and down, but he didn't improve his time 47.35

11/12 50 Breast

Brett again looks strong improving by about a second and finishing in 41.92. This time was also good enough to seed brett 8th in the finals for the evening swim. NOTE: corrected...read the wrong result from the official times sheet when initially posting - left my notes at home this morning...

----------------------------------------------

10+U 100 Free

Bear entered this 100 free needing a couple second cut to make the state meet. But his freestyle was awesome in the 200 and his form in the 50 (despite the fact he didn't get a personal best) was really good...so I figured he had about a 50/50 chance of gettig the cut...In the race, Bear had an unbelievable .54 second reaction on the start a full .1 better than the next closest swimmer in the event and about .3 better than the average start time. Bear's first 50 was a 36.29 (really good when you consider his 50 free personal best is in the 35.6 range). In the back half he swam a strong 40.14 and finished with a time of 1:16.40 - the cut is 1:16.09...

During the second day, Bailey was more interested in socializing with her friends then she was in prepping for her races (which is fine, like I said earlier she already had 5 cuts, and I want this to be fun for her, so I wasn't going to ride her about getting off her feet, drinking to stay hydrated and eating to give your body fuel). In this race, she worked hard, but she wasn't terribly affective...her opening 50 was 36.38 and the closing 50 was 40.11...for a final time of 1:16.49. This is around 2 seconds off her personal best. She handled this disappointment well...and I was proud of that, but I did let her know that if she wants to get state cuts, she needs to do the little things to get ready, not play around with her friends (though next season it will be irrelevant, because she'll probably have all her state cuts prior to this meet - though we might still be pushing for sectional ones)...

------------------------------

night time session results (and Brett's 200 Breast swim for the state cut)are coming up

Last edited by Breeze : 02-21-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote