View Single Post
Old 08-02-2019, 03:09 PM   #82
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

1 July 2017, continued

Not long after I clicked on "submit reply," I thought of a few more things I wanted to mention about the first half of this season.

I've sorted out most of our contract business already. This band is looking like it can really jam, so I'm going to keep it together for a while. All of our most important players are under contract through 31 December 2018, at the earliest. Bradford, O'Shea, Fearn, Lawless, O'Callaghan, and Russell are tied to us through 2019. The first five are all automatic starters in any important match. Russell is no longer a regular, but our fans love him; he's Favoured Personnel, and he gives all he has for the shirt. As long as he'll accept a reduced role, he's got a place in our team.

Our recent success is having a slightly negative result: some of our more talented young players are becoming frustrated at their lack of first team football, and are clamoring to go out on loan. Among them are goalkeeper Alexander van der Steen, defender Anton Zonneveld, and midfielder Johnny McEntee. I've placed them on the development list, hoping to attract some interest. I'm afraid if they don't get their wish, they'll be ready to leave when their contracts expire in December.

We occasionally come up against our former players who have signed with other teams. You might not remember Stephen Spillane, whom we once had very high hopes for. He's now a regular midfielder for Longford Town, and he's having a very good season so far. He's teammates with David Reilly, who was the captain for my first Galway Utd side.

Alan Woods is a fixture at left back for Cobh Ramblers, who are pushing hard for a promotion back to the Premier Division. They are battling hard with Bray Wanderers, who feature Mark Molloy on defense. Mark is Wanderers' vice captain, too. Both those lads are fine players for the First Division, and it's good to see them thriving.

On the other hand, Billy Ryan is still looking for a club. He's the most talented of the former Tribesmen I've mentioned but, as I discovered when I tried to negotiate contracts with him, Billy believes he's a lot better than he is.

The transfer window opened today. Besides finding loan opportunities for our disgruntled youngsters, I have only a couple pieces of business I'd like to complete.

Dean McCarthy has been fantastic at right back for us, but he's Liverpool's property, not ours. If I can't persuade Liverpool to sell him to us, I'll have to find a suitable replacement.

I'd also like to add more steel to our central midfield. Gareth Kearney and Glen Scully are both very creative players. Neither excel at marking or tackling, and there are times when I want more of a destroyer in the middle of the park. Aaron O'Connor can do that job, but I wouldn't mind having another player of that type in the team. It's fun to enter a transfer period without thinking I have to work miracles in order to make my team competitive.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote