View Single Post
Old 05-05-2016, 09:58 AM   #31
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Leaders(Who are our top officials?)

Finally it is time to sign up. For those who wish to participate actively in the story, there are four 'career paths' that you may choose. Some will have more possibilties and/or responsibilities than others. Every leader has a trait to give them a little more distinction & individuality, they gain experience through their various activities, and will eventually die. Almost certainly the game will last long enough to go through at least a few 'generations' -- it is possible with the right species traits and the best technology to have leaders live for several centuries later on! I won't be selecting the longevity-extending traits to start out with, as I think it'll be more fun if there's some turnover. A career of at least a few decades is still expected for each character, unless they meet an 'untimely demise'.

Those wishing to join should submit a name(renaming of leaders has been confirmed as a feature). You can also choose your career path preference, up to three in order of choice, if you would like. Otherwhise you will be used wherever you are needed. If nothing has changed by release, there will be a maximum of 10 leaders at the start, with 8 needed for a full roster at the beginning. The maximum grows slowly with our empire. If there are less volunteers than needed, I will handle the other characters; if there a more, a waiting list will be maintained.

Governors -- at least one needed.

Governors can have two different spheres of influence.

** Planetary Governors are responsible for a single key planet(or moon, in some cases). They will set a general policy for how development there will be prioritized. At game start we will need one governor for our homeworld.

** Sector Governors are responsible for larger areas of space, usually encompassing multiple systems. There is a limit to how many planets can be effectively governed directly, a limit that might increase but certainlyh not as fast as an empire expands. None will be needed at game start, but before long they will become a thing. The systems within a sector are not directly controlled -- rather, the person responsible for a sector sets two policies that will affect how their system(s) are developed and how much of the surplus goes to the imperial government via taxation.

Scientists -- At least four needed.

** A Research Director is responsible for all research into one of three general fields: Physics, Society, and Engineering. They choose the direction of research in those fields, which include primary research projects and special situations that may come up. As such, Research Directors wield a great deal of power in determining the research path of our species. One will be needed for each field, and this will not change throughout the game.

** Survey Captains are explorers. Science ships are equipped with specialized scanners that provide information on the habitability, etc. of planets and moons, and from time to time will identify anomalies. Investigating such anomalies carries a variety of risks and rewards, and requires the cooperation of the relevant Research Director in analyzing the data they collect on-site. Each survey captain will decide how cautious or aggressive they want to be in such situations. They will also be called upon at times to cooperate with a Research Director in a special project as the 'on-site liasion' while the Director coordinates analysis back on the homeworld, or to assist planetary research efforts if they are not busy elsewhere. At least one will be needed initially, and at least one more shortly afterwards.

Admirals -- At least one needed

Admirals command combat fleets. There isn't much in the way of in-game decisions for them to make, but I'm going to give them input on the makeup of the fleet, and design of ships in it, which should be a lot of fun. As we grow there should also be some input in terms on how to distribute the fleet throughout the empire. At start we will need one admiral

Generals -- At least one needed.

Generals quite logically operate as admirals, except that they command the armies on a particular planet, moon, or invasion force. There is less here than for the other roles, but they will have a voice in what types of armies to build and where to send them. Again we will need one at startup.

Aside from the four main branches, there is also a special case:

Head of State -- 1

This is probably the most important leader, and has the most responsibilities. Most leaders will have a couple different settings to provide guidance in how to implement their wishes, but the head of state will have much more to contribute. Under most government forms it will be a political leader but there are the possibilities for a technocracy led by a scientist, a military junta led by a general or admiral, and so on given the appopriate ethics. If the voting doesn't change significantly, it will almost certainly be a governor getting this job with the consensus so far.

They are responsible for setting a range of imperial policies, edicts, and so forth. Most of these are the ones presented in the game, and I've added a few as a way for the Head of State to give some simple, general instructions/priorities for how I will play out the game. How secure this position is depends on whether we end up with an autocratic/oligarchal/democratic form of government, but with the presumed oligarchy each would have some decades to man the post before being potentially replaced.

Sign-Up Form

Character Name: Whatever you want us to call you.
Career Path: Governor, Scientist, Admiral, General, or No Preference if you don't care. The Head of State will be selected from the relevant path at random from the available candidates. If you select multiple paths, I'll try to get you in the first one if available, then the second, and so on. Otherwhise I'll wait till a spot's open in your chosen path.

Tomorrow I'll put up some information on what's going to happen on Monday when the game is out, but other than that we're ready to roll!
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote