View Single Post
Old 04-20-2020, 02:43 PM   #209
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Once the puzzling is done and the successful wagers have all been paid out, the taproom settles down and the patrons resume their drinking and convivial conversations. Quang and Deng both won their wagers, but it does little to lift Deng’s sullen mood. The innkeeper leaves his counter in the capable hands of his two sons and comes out to mingle with his customers. The storms have been good for business and he is in high spirits. When he passes by your table, Quang stops him and asks if he has any room for the night.

‘I’m sorry, my Lord,’ he replies. ‘We’re completely full. Even my attic and stables are occupied tonight.’

‘Do you know if anyone is crossing the estuary before nightfall?’ asks Quang.

‘Not if they know what’s best for them. There’ve been no boats on the waters for the past three days. The ferry is closed and the fishermen are all safely tucked up at home. Well, those that aren’t in here that is!’

With each passing minute new customers enter the inn until the taproom is bursting at the seams.

‘It’s time to leave,’ says Quang. ‘There little chance we’ll find anyone who’ll take us to Dwala in here.’

You gather your backpacks and leave the overcrowded inn by way of its back door. An alleyway runs alongside the building and you use it to return to the quayside.

You walk along the quayside, scouring every vessel that is tied up here. Most are firmly tethered to cast iron moorings and shrouded with oilskin tarpaulins. You find only one that appears to be in a ready state to depart. Its owner is fixing its mooring rope when you approach.

‘Hail, sir,’ says Quang. ‘Would you be prepared to take us across the estuary to Dwala?’

The boatman regards the Lieutenant with a look of incredulity.

‘Some say I’m a little bit mad. But I’m not that mad. What you propose it nothing less than suicidal!’

(we'll pay!)

‘There’s not enough Ren in all of Chai that would make me go out into the estuary today,’ says the boatman, shaking his head. The waters can be treacherous even at the best of times, especially in the middle of the channel.

‘How much to buy your boat?’ asks Quang.

‘More than you can afford,’ he retorts. ‘This boat is my livelihood. But I tell you what, I’ll take 5,000 Ren for it.’

‘The price you are asking is preposterous,’ says Quang. ‘I could buy ten boats like this for that sum.’

‘Hah!’ snorts the boatman. ‘Then I suggest you go and do that!’

You continue along the quayside. Your hopes of finding a boat and a boatman willing to take you across the estuary are fading fast until Quang spots something in the distance that raises your flagging spirit. It is a small brick built cabin with a roof of thick red tiles.

‘That’s the Coast Guard station,’ he says, and he marches towards it at a brisk pace. Inside you find the Quay Master seated at his desk. He is hunched over a detailed map of the Tkukoma Estuary with a mug of steaming jala cupped in his hands. Quang asks him if he has any Coast Guard boats operational in the estuary and the thin-faced Quay Master snorts with derision.

‘In this weather? Not likely!’

‘Then by the power vested in me by Khea-khan Lao Tin, I am commandeering one of your boats,’ replies Quang, officiously, and he shows the Quay Master his insignia of rank. The man looks at his insignia, then he looks at you and Deng and he bursts out laughing.

‘I am not joking,’ retorts Quang. ‘I demand you let me inspect your fleet.’

‘My fleet?’ replies the Quay Master, chuckling under his breath. ‘Very well, I’ll show you my fleet. Follow me.’

You leave the Coast Guard station and follow the Quay Master along the quayside to a small rowing boat tethered by a rope to an iron ring in the wall.

‘There, that’s my fleet. All that’s left of it that is. You’re welcome to commandeer it if you wish.’

The Quay Master turns on his heel and marches back to his station, laughing and shaking his head all the way. You look down at the rowing boat and your heart sinks. It is a sturdily built craft but there is only enough room for two. If the three of you were to attempt to cross the stormy estuary in this tiny boat it would surely capsize. Quang places his hand on Deng’s shoulder and the Watcher raises his head and looks unblinkingly into the Lieutenant’s steely eyes.

‘I am discharging you of your duties, Deng,’ he says. ‘You have served loyally and bravely and I will commend you to the Khea-khan. Return to the cavalry barracks and join with Bai. Accompany him on his ride back to Jueng tomorrow.’

Deng nods his head and salutes the Lieutenant. He wishes you both good luck before he leaves the quayside and walks away into the teeming rain. You watch him go. He does not look back.

‘It is best he goes with Bai tomorrow,’ says Quang. ‘If they should run into the enemy during their journey, they’ll stand a better chance of surviving than if Bai were to go alone.’

‘It will be hard on them to tell Shen-Yin that she has lost her husband,’ you reply.

‘Yes …  yes it will,’ says Quang, his voice tinged with bitter sadness. ‘Her husband …  and her sister too. When I spoke with Bai at the stables, he told me that when he searched the farm house next to the barn, he found the bodies of Shen-Yin’s sister and her husband. Both had been murdered by the Skarada.’

‘This is so sad,’ you reply, ‘I pray that Ishir will give her strength to bear her grievous loss.’

Quang walks to the edge of the quay and loosens the rope securing the rowboat.

‘Perhaps we should wait until the storm abates,’ you say.

‘There’s no chance of any improvement in this foul weather,’ replies Quang. ‘We could be waiting here for days. It’s not uncommon for it to be stormy at this time of the year, but I’ve never known anything like this. I fear there are dark forces in play. We must reach Dwala and you must deliver the Eye to the Elder Magi as soon as possible. The crossing will be difficult but it will not be impossible. We must place our trust in God Kai to see us through to the other side, and we must be away at once. It’s now or never.’

You step into the boat and set the oars into the rowlocks. Quang casts off and you commence your voyage out into the treacherous waters of the Tkukoma Estuary.

(I use Elementalism)

You call upon your advanced Discipline to create a sphere of calm air around the boat. It helps you to leave the quayside, but its effect is all too short lived.

The waters seethe and roil around your boat. Huge waves crash together and drench you as valiantly you struggle to reach the far side. Blinding blue-white forks of lightning streak from the black clouds above and stab the tortured waters all around. It is impossible to steer; all you can do is row hard and pray you will survive this terrifying voyage.

You are nearing the middle of the channel when a bolt of lightning strikes the churning surface close by. The discharge of its electrical energy jolts and numbs your aching arms: lose 1 ENDURANCE point. Quang is worse affected and he loses a grip of his oar. It is torn from his grasp and whisked away on the howling wind. Shock has rendered him unconscious and turned his skin pale grey. He slumps forward, and as you reach to pull him back onto the seat, the boat is hoisted on the crest of a tremendous wave and catapulted skywards.

(I use KA and a high enough rank)

The boat tumbles stern over bow and you are hurled into the raging waters. You plunge deep into the watery abyss, dragged down by the strong currents and the weight of your weapons and equipment. You intone the words of the Brotherhood Spell Breathe Water and the crushing pain in your lungs recedes when you begin to absorb oxygen through your skin. With your strength fast returning, you fight your way up from the depths and back towards the surface.

You break the surface gasping for air. Mercilessly, the raging waves toss you around like a rag doll.

Your Magnakai Discipline of Pathsmanship tells you which direction is north, and from this intuitive knowledge you determine the direction of east and swim as best you can on this course.

Your fight to reach the eastern bank of the estuary whilst in the grip of the raging waters becomes a desperate combat against the elements. You must fight them as you would any enemy that is trying to kill you.

Tkukoma Estuary: COMBAT SKILL 34 ENDURANCE 50

Resolve the outcome of this combat using the Combat Rules. You may not add any bonuses you would normally benefit from by the use of your Kai Weapon, normal weapons, or any psychic attacks. You must also reduce your COMBAT SKILL by 2 points for the duration of this ordeal.

(I have a +11. I toss a 8 and win)

Once you are beyond the treacherous currents at the middle of the estuary, swimming through the heaving waves and lightning strikes seems easier by comparison. Several times you magnify your vision and scan the churning waters, looking for any sign of Lieutenant Quang, but it is a futile effort. The waters are too rough and dusk is fast turning to night.

You glimpse a shimmer of lights ahead and you strike out for them in the hope it is the city of Dwala. The flow of the estuary waters push you away from the lights and you are exhausted by the time you reach the muddy eastern shore. You crawl through the mud and collapse unconscious several yards from the tempestuous waters.

When you regain consciousness, every muscle in your body aches and your vision is blurry. Gradually, you recover enough strength and vision to struggle wearily to your feet and survey your surroundings. You have come ashore a mile south of Dwala. The city lights shimmer in the darkness, enticing you towards them. You stumble up the gradient of the shore and find firmer ground that is covered with grass, shrubs, and reeds. You stop to stare back at the raging waters of the estuary and you pray to Ishir to save the lost Lieutenant.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote