View Single Post
Old 04-20-2020, 06:27 PM   #219
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The End of Storms of Chai.

This book didn't feel like Joe Dever wrote it. While he has learned as a writer over his career, there are more similarities from Book 1 and Book 28 than there are from Book 28 and Book 29. Made senses as he wasn't actively writing for 18 years. Book 1, Flight from the Dark was published in 1984. The Hunger of Sejanoz was written in 97, 13 years later. Storms was written in 2015, 18 years later. You can see the gap, with many word choices, issues of grammar, and more making it in. The story wasn't as tight as Dever usually paced his stories, and there were many more logical inconsistencies in the story. On one day my character can influence a horse, nut on the next it runs away. You feel okay stealing from the Captain of the ship but not the crew's payroll. You could see the hiatus.

Anyways, I enjoyed a lot about the book, and i own a hard copy so that's good. But the next book, Dead in the Deep I own and haven't read, but was written by his son. My hope is that Dead in the Deep and the last two novels in the mega-series that are being written by Ben Dever are going to feel more Joe Dever than this one did.

Take a good example, the Autumn Snow series that began with The Pit of Darkness. It captured that early Kai feel better than this did.

Autumn Snow: The Pit of Darkness – Gamebook News

I hope that others can pick up his legacy, and more over I hope they are encouraged to do so. We've had Lone Wolf video games, Lone Wolf RPG, but those were back when the series was hot. What I'd love to see is a group of people that could make this IP work for a modern audience, like a modern video game a la Mechwarrior 5 and Battletech that put that IP back there for a new generation. I'd love a new movie, or Netflix series,or something that showed a clear caring for the psychic rangers that keep things safe.

Enjoy!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote