View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #286
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Oddly enough, the same essay just showed up on my FB wall. I'll just copy & paste my comment from FB to here

re: "It’s time for a meaningful, nation-wide conversation about mental health" ... in as neutral a tone as possible, I'll say that I don't believe very many people will be satisfied with where such a hypothetical conversation ends up.

Probably not. Save for coming up with a medical solution, the best option seems to be removing these individuals from free society, which doesn't seem to sit well with many.

Could there be something better than keeping the ill in a drugged, semi-catatonic state a la One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest? Maybe. Many of the ill are bright and could conceivably perform some self-sustaining tasks. I'm thinking of sort of a working commune for the the mentally ill. Heck, maybe some of them could hold "real" jobs that allowed them to telecommute. Of course it would still need to be secure, and, well, you really couldn't let these people out. Which I doubt would ever fly.