View Single Post
Old 01-30-2018, 08:18 PM   #41
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I just finished reading the Patrick Rothfuss books, and I truly believe that his prose is the best (that I've read in fantasy). The first book is one of the best fantasy books I've ever read, it was like the fantasy version of Harry Potter, for an adult audience. I thought he went off the rails a bit in his 2nd book, I still gave it 4* but I felt there wasn't a true storyline to the book and it just ended. There was still plenty that happened, but I just felt there wasn't much point to it.

I'd give the main spot to the Song of Fire and Ice of course, that big moment in book 1 where you realize that everything in fantasy has changed, I threw the book across the room. My wife didn't understand, but she always remembered the book throwing moment. Many many years later when we watched the TV show, as soon as that head went rolling, I just did a book throwing motion and she understood exactly what I was talking about.

I also give Robert Jordan a lot of credit for creating one of the deepest worlds around. I only finished the first 8 books in the series, I felt it really lost quality after the first 5 excellent books. It was finished well by Brandon Sanderson, which is the next author that I will be reading now that I have finished the Rothfuss books.

I also read the first book in the Malazan series and it was quite daunting. They say his prose isn't easy to get into and that is right. He doesn't hold your hand a tiny bit, you need to read it with focus and concentration. Even the poems have meaning and pay off later. I couldn't bring myself to continue the series yet, but I intend on it one day.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote