View Single Post
Old 01-24-2021, 09:01 AM   #67
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
My guess? It'll eventually be the undoing of Cheveldayoff.

It's definitely got that potential. He clearly 'lost' the trade in the sense that we gave up the best player, sent out another NHL player while getting a 3rd round pick back, AND ate salary.

On the other hand, a center is more important to a team than a winger overall, and also we have other excellent scoring wingers to compensate somewhat for the loss of Laine. And Roslovic was dead to us, so really it's not much of a loss even if he is technically worth more than a 3rd.

After having some time to calm down I am far less upset about the trade itself than I am in the fact that it ever came to this with Laine. 5 years ago we drafted a weird dude from Finland that just wanted to score goals and play video games with his best buddy Ehlers. Somehow in attempting to mold him into a more complete franchise player the Jets screwed that up to the point of him wanting out. I don't know if it was fights with teammates, disagreements with the coach, or contract negotiations, or maybe all of it. But ultimately Chevy didn't do enough to smooth out whatever was bothering Laine, and that to me is a major failing.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote