View Single Post
Old 10-11-2020, 08:58 PM   #7220
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
It would be nice to have an Egyptian in the role I guess, but yeah, the Ptolemies were Macedonians originally but there is enough unknown mothers and Persian brides etc across the generations that it makes the whole discussion of race a bit dumb, especially when comparing it to modern races/nationalities. Its possible that a modern Egyptian would genetically not be any/much closer to Cleopatra than Gal Gadot, given what happened in Egypt/North Africa in the first millennia post-Cleopatra especially.

I hope the movie doesn't suck because she is an interesting character and it's a very interesting story, but my guess is that we get a bloated 2.5/3 hour love story.

I know I don't have all the context, history etc. and this may be unfair ... but when I think of Cleopatra, I think of the last Pharaoh (loser) who prostituted herself. In the various movies/TV series, I never got the feeling it was to save the country but more to save herself.

Supposed beauty aside, I don't think she is worthy of all the acclaim. Nefertiti would be more interesting IMO.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote