View Single Post
Old 10-13-2020, 07:12 PM   #7221
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I know I don't have all the context, history etc. and this may be unfair ... but when I think of Cleopatra, I think of the last Pharaoh (loser) who prostituted herself. In the various movies/TV series, I never got the feeling it was to save the country but more to save herself.

Supposed beauty aside, I don't think she is worthy of all the acclaim. Nefertiti would be more interesting IMO.

Her story is so popular because, IMO at least, of a few reasons - powerful female ruler, attractive seductress trope - but she also ties dramatically into one of the top-5 most famous historical figures of all time. Her life is basically a Hollywood plot from beginning to end. If anything I'm surprised there haven't been more movies/TV dramas made.

Nefertiti on the other hand, so little is known that the movie would basically just be a script writer's invention. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for historical epics and would love a good ancient Egypt movie. Bring on Nefertiti the movie.

I think prostitute is overdoing it re: Cleopatra. She owed her position to Caesar, but how many times throughout history has a powerful nation put "their guy" in power in another country to exert influence? She did what she had to do to hold onto her throne once she had it, and although it was all for naught in the end, it's an interesting story. I'm just guessing the movie is heavy on the 'attractive seductress' part, and light on the history, which is the most interesting part of the whole topic (for me).