View Single Post
Old 10-19-2020, 02:03 PM   #7231
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
It felt like they decided to make the Captain America movies the Avengers 0.5 movies while they kept building everything else around it.

While they were huge money makers, I would argue that until Infinity War, the MCU was a bit of a letdown.

SI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I was always under the assumption that they job they did in Winter Solider and Civil War was what got them Infinity War and Endgame.

Infinity War is the real standout movie of the MCU. I've never seen so much plot packed into a movie. There's no rising tension - you're just dropped straight in where Ragnarok left off and expected to have paid attention to the previous 20 movies where 5 and 10 minutes were stolen here and there. However, you are given characterization: Thanos is the star of the show and, to a lesser extent, Gamora. And it's all well done. There are only a couple of parts that kindof drag a little (Thor's axe plot comes to mind). Otherwise, it's just continuing plot after plot from the previous movies to the climax. It was the perfect capstone to the MCU.

And then Endgame was like a resolution and character movie to help you sort out the character arcs for everyone and start setting up what comes next.

SI

Infinity War is amazing. I love it.

That said, I don't think I could agree with the statement that before than "MCU was a bit of a let down." The vast majority of the MCU movies are far better than they have any right being. There are far more good-to-great films in the universe than there are mediocre-to-poor films. Given the overall quality of super heroes movies, especially outside of the MCU, that's really saying something.

I feel what Marvel was able to accomplish from Iron-Man through End Game is one of the most impressive feats in cinematic history.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote