View Single Post
Old 10-19-2020, 02:27 PM   #7232
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Infinity War is amazing. I love it.

That said, I don't think I could agree with the statement that before than "MCU was a bit of a let down." The vast majority of the MCU movies are far better than they have any right being. There are far more good-to-great films in the universe than there are mediocre-to-poor films. Given the overall quality of super heroes movies, especially outside of the MCU, that's really saying something.

I feel what Marvel was able to accomplish from Iron-Man through End Game is one of the most impressive feats in cinematic history.

That's totally fair: the undertaking of the MCU is amazing and they don't actually get enough critical acclaim for it (but they do get a ton of money for it). There are very few actual duds in the MCU (Thor 2, Hulk, if we're counting it as an MCU movie, and maybe Iron Man 2). You know you're getting a base level of quality when you go into an MCU movie, whether it's the third Captain America movie or some fairly unknown character like Dr. Strange. However, I felt like they had never cashed in on the whole promise of the MCU until Infinity War. Like all those 5 and 10 minute chunks that kept getting stolen away for future movies - those did hurt some of the individual movies they were in, leaving them with not enough time or too many subplots, as a slave to the whole.

Like prior to Infinity War, name the 3 best MCU movies? I'd throw out Iron Man (the first movie), Guardians of the Galaxy (the change of pace comedy), and, I dunno: Civil War? I think most people would have Avengers in there but it didn't grab me like a lot of people (re-using Loki as the villain made it feel a bit too much like Thor and I didn't feel the emotional impact of Coulson, even though I like Clark Gregg). The series felt like it had never grown much past those first few movies - more breadth but no more depth.

But Infinity War was a wonderful payoff. Also, it's more of a plot movie than a character movie and the plot was almost note perfect. Endgame is a bit more flawed, though for understandable reasons (just don't tell me it's the better movie).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-19-2020 at 02:30 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote