View Single Post
Old 05-08-2022, 06:38 PM   #1249
Christy
n00b

I figure I would give one post to praise Perez before he goes into being a trainer. It will be a nominal title as I will leave the game as well. The game is good fun to take a player through but it feels a little too simple in the end to figure out. Still it was fun whenever I managed to watch a big match to follow each point and rise up the rankings. I have had bad luck generating players in the past but good luck finding Perez in the open market when someone dropped him. If I got a better I am sure that I could be a little more successful, if I didn't then I probably would not manage to do better than what Perez did. Or I guess if I had ever managed to scrape data results from the site to analyse results at which point I might be able to refine the formulas a little. I may come back in at a future point to follow the rankings again or to see if I can still train a player as well but not feeling like I can add any more skill to the game is a little annoying.

I should also say another massive thank you to Brian. It has been a while so I might reread this thread, you are an excellent writer and brought a massive amount of enjoyment to this game following all the stories through. The ups and downs at the top of the rankings.

Nicolas was not the most physically gifted in terms of speed or strength but just had an absolutely crazy drive to train and stamina that meant his technical skills were through the roof.
Nicolas Perez finishes his singles career with 1 world title, 11 slams, 18 Masers and 1 Olympic games. Canada was the only major title he never fully managed even though he made 3 finals there. At the time he was the youngest winner of the Olympic games at 23 years and 43 weeksHe also helped Argentina to 3 world cups. I still remember the excitement when he first showed up in the big leagues taking out Hart in the US Open. He also had 1 junior slam from his younger days. He managed 181 days in singles and once managed a 92-6 record in season 77 which resulted in a WTF, 3 slams and 4 Masters titles.

For Doubles he won 1 WTF, 9 Slams and 6 Masters as well as another Olympic games as well as 5 more world team cups giving him an impressive resume in both. Though for whatever reason he came through in the bigger moments of slams and struggled more in the 3 sets of of Masters. He managed 2 slams in his younger days in doubles. He made it 113 days as world number 1 in doubles.

For his legacy he is still on the list of top GSL winners and just below for the masters winners. He ranks 9th for days at #1 and was 7 weeks shy of making the top 10 in doubles. He reached #9 in money with just under $77 million in total prize money throughout his career which should be enough to retire on!

Who knows I may try this game again at some point in the future but for now I am happy to leave it as it is and move on with the happy memories from this thread.
I feel a final mention should go to Samuel Aas. A solid tour player I had as Nicolas was rising up. Generally ranked mid 20s to mid teens at his peak. However as Nicolas made his big break through in Rome Aas stalled it a bit as he took Nicolas out in both their first major tournament finals for his one and rather unexpected big tournament win. This was the year after Perez got his first win vs a world #1 at the US Open Round 4 (while being unranked at the time) in a 5 set thriller. Perez was beaten in Canada by Hart and got his first big win in Shanghai of that year.

Last edited by Christy : 05-08-2022 at 06:45 PM.
Christy is offline   Reply With Quote