View Single Post
Old 06-22-2018, 08:11 AM   #275
GoldenCrest Games
High School Varsity

Thumbs up

A lot of close games this week.

How about the Swarm and the Twisters winning by a combined 5 points?? That's unbelievable.

Our game against the Silvers wasn't as close as the score looks. My playcalling was pretty sloppy most of the game, and went for it on every 4th down. The Silvers had nothing on offense, and I could sack the QB at will. I called off the dogs early and started messing around with some defenses I rarely run. They broke through for a long TD late in the game, but I wasn't too worried.

I had a problem running the ball this game because they have an elite 2-man DL that blew me up consistently. It's hard to run when 2 guys destroy your blocking and leave all the other defenders free for tackling.

I ended up relying completely on the power passing attack. Here's a quick video of my new favorite play: https://www.facebook.com/GoldenCrest...623905132/?t=0

It almost always gives the QB at least one good passing option.
  1. The WR1 on the hard slant&drag is the first option. If there's a mismatch in man defense, the QB usually has a good angle to get him the ball. If it's a zone, the RB clears out the middle.
  2. If the WR is covered, or if the zone stays intact, the deep RB (RB1) is the next read. The lead RB (RB2) will usually occupy the LB enough for RB1 to get wide and open. In this video, the LB did a good job of coming off RB2 to cover RB1 and take it away.
  3. RB2 is the 3rd read. A lot of times if WR1 and RB1 are covered, it's because the defense is playing shallow and loading up in the first 10 yards. RB2 is challenging the defense deep, and will often get a step on the safety if he starts too close to the LOS.

My QB is pretty quick at making reads, so I think he threw the ball on his 2nd cycle of reading the receivers. It looks like everyone was covered on the first reads, and then Moody found the WR at the beginning of his 2nd read cycle. He's rated 80, and a 70 or 60 rated QB probably would have been looking at the RB1 when the WR found the hole over the middle, and would have missed it.

That's really the most meaningful difference in QB skill. It's the ability to read receivers quickly. Bad QBs also are inaccurate with their throws, but the accuracy penalty isn't really bad unless you're throwing 20+ yards downfield. Being able to cycle through receivers quickly is key because they are usually only open for a small window. Most defenses recover quickly, unless it's just a bad play design. (there are still some of those)

If you've got a crappy QB, you're going to be limited to patterns with 1 or 2 receivers, or you'll just have to live with only the top reads in complex patterns. It's doable, but it's really limiting.

Probably my favorite feature in the game.
Attached Images
File Type: png week7.png (79.6 KB, 35 views)