View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 10:09 AM   #6
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

21 November 2014

Far northern countries like Norway and Sweden play football in the summer, and as their seasons ended in November, a number of clubs cut their ties with managers whom they felt fell short of expectations.

On the 10th, one of my dream jobs opened up. Malmö were predicted to defend their Swedish Premier Division title, but a run of five matches without a victory in April and May sent them perilously close to the relegation places. The team rallied, and moved back to the top of the table with two matches to play. Malmö unpredictably drew with last-placed Elfsborg and 11th-placed Halmstad, allowing Kalmar and AIK to edge past them.

That was enough for the Malmö board, who gave manager Åge Haralde his pink slip. I promptly submitted my application. The same day, Viking boss Kjell Jonevret indicated his interest in the Malmö job, too. That could create an interesting scenario; if Jonevret moves to Malmö, Viking will need a manager--and they're on my "wish list," too!

The next day, Luleå hired a manager of middling ability called Anders Wallerstrom. I never heard from them. Perhaps they thought I was too big a catch to pursue.

Today, Sundsvall decided to bring back a name from their past. Irish manager Patrick Walker first managed there from 2002-2004, part of an extensive journey across Norway and Sweden.

Malmö haven't contacted me for an interview, either. All I can do for now is wait. And wait.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 05-15-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote