View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 10:57 AM   #7
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

10 December 2014

The festive season is well underway now. Will I have even more reason to celebrate this Christmas, with a brand-new job beneath the tree?

Somehow I missed the fact that Odds Ballklub, another of the clubs on my "wish list," sacked their manager back in mid-November. On the 26th, Jostein Grindhaug resigned his job with FK Haugesund and moved 360 kilometers or so down the road to take the job at Odd.

That move seemed, well, odd. Grindhaug was a Legend at Haugesund, playing there for 12 seasons and becoming their all-time leader in appearances. Why would he make a parallel move to another team in the Premier Division?

I decided to take a closer look at Haugesund. They finished fifth in 2014, after being predicted to come in 9th. I like the Fairly Professional personality of their squad. On the other hand, their finances are a mess--valued at £3 million, the club is staggering under £12.25 million in debt.

I thought about it, and decided to put my name in the hat for the Haugesund job, too.

Two days later, the board at Odense Ballklub lost patience with Ove Pedersen, who couldn't guide the team off the bottom of the table. I decided to wait before I acted on this opening. OB are a mess right now, and I'm not sure I could repair things well enough to save myself from Pedersen's fate.

Then, two days ago, I got a message from Leiv Helge Kaldheim, the chairman at Haugesund. He invited me in for an interview, and I accepted.

I agree with Kaldheim's desire to sign young players for the first team. I asked him to increase the youth development budget, but I wasn't surprised when Kaldheim turned me down. After all, they're swimming in debt right now.

Today, I received an offer to manage Haugesund! They're offering me a two-year contract at £1.4K a week.

Now I'm wondering what I should do. I still haven't heard anything from Malmö. Managing there would probably be my dream job. Should I go ahead and take the offer from Haugesund, or try to delay them and see if Malmö come in with an offer? Are the financial problems at Haugesund so great that I should take a pass?

Decisions, decisions...
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote