View Single Post
Old 06-07-2019, 08:15 PM   #1055
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think Christy about covered the Tour Finals stuff; Hart over Molyneaux in the final for a second straight year. Molyneaux was a second player to push the #1 to a third-set tiebreak during their round robin encounter, but this time it was straight sets. Solberg was the other semifinalist, and due to a ranking bug screwing over Seamus Hughes - who is making a career out of such things it would seem - Solberg ends the year ahead of him at #4.

I have a kind of comical situation with my top players, as Sushant Chiba is just above the break at #16, 80 points up on Wentz. Ritwik Dudwadkar falls to 32nd, just barely above that cut-off. Five points separate him from Andrey Rublev of Russia, so if something happens at the end with WTC points adjustments he could go into next year having been demoted again. The others played a couple of CH3 events at the end of the year, both of them in South America. Satyagit Guha lost once in the first round of the main draw after qualifying, and once in the first qualifying round. Yuck. Doubles resulted in a close first-round loss, and a loss in the final of the first one. In total five matches - and every.single.one. went to a super tiebreak. These guys can do nothing easy. Nasir Chittoor lost in the QF of the first tournament, as Boltanski got revenge on him 6-4, 7-5. Unseeded American Tim Gudsell stopped him 6-3, 6-4 in the SF the next time out. I thought that was winnable; Gudsell was fresher and a much better athlete, but not nearly as good on clay. Turns out the physicality won the day on this occasion as it wasn't even that close. In any case, Chittoor has had a couple nice runs but ends the season still looking for his first challenger title.

The Quest for 8.9 Continues
Age 20 Comparison

Neither of my youngsters are teenagers anymore. They are now probably termed 'young guns' or something like that.

** Prakash Mooljee - 87 skill, 60 serve, 1 doubles
** Ritwik Dudwadkar - 87/61/0
** Sushant Chiba - 85/62/2
** Satyagit Guha - 67/53/87
** Nasir Chittoor - 85/66/0

Some interesting things here. Ritwik Dudwadkar pulled slightly ahead of Mooljee historically - but that will actually reverse itself later. I think that's due to how quickly Prakash was successful early in his career. Both of those are a bit ahead of Chiba which tracks with previous impressions. Satyagit Guha has stopped falling behind the others. He's not catching up either - he'll only be able to do that to a limited degree and only when he finished doubles in probably two years, but he was 20 serve and 8 skill trains behind Dudwadkar at age 19, and the past year kept him at exactly that deficit. Meanwhile Nasir Chittoor continues to pull slightly further ahead. He's around 3k points ahead of Dudwadkar overall I'd say, +5 serve but -2 skill. That's about a thousand points better than last year and he remains basically 1 skill train in front. The part that's really going to matter I expect is how quickly he gets out of challengers against a crowded field, and we're still a ways away from determining that.

Coming Up …

Something about Ireland extending their record of consecutive WTC titles against the Netherlands next week, followed by the Anil Cup and the usual end-of-year stuff.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 06-07-2019 at 08:24 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote