View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 05:07 PM   #44
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
The funny (or ironic) thing about that whole battle back and forth was the topic that started alot of it. The argument was over Shortstop Luke Crawford and whether or not he was worth the $11mil that he was signed for.

I believe Anthony, Commo_Soldier and I argued that Crawford was worth the money, with ekcut also leaning that way if I recall correctly. While everyone else was in disbelief at the money.

Now we are 50 years after the fact, and Luke Crawford is one of only 3 Shortstops in the FOOL Hall of Fame, and until Romero went in as a shortstop (which he only played part of his time), Crawford was the best Shortstop in FOOL history.

I fully realize however that the real reasons for the arguments was more because of a personality conflict where almost no one got along well with Anthony and any little thing would set off a flame war of epic proportions. Wasn't necessarily my favorite period of FOOL baseball since I felt I was constantly playing mother around here.. but looking back at the Crawford debate is kind of funny now.

I actually am going to back Tim up here again

Crawford was good, but he was not worth that kind of money he was getting and I was too busy being pissed off to expain myself "well".

With HA boasting how good his team always was, and trying to get the league rules changed just so he could make the playoffs...... Sigh he just ruffled my feathers all the time and I couldnt help myself from posting back.
I still get weird reading all the stuff I actually posted, so ill appologize again. It wasnt my finest "Fool moment".

The point I was always trying to make (very poorly) was that paying 11 mil for a guy like Crawford wasnt going to make him win and even though Crawford is in the hall and was a fantastic player, HA never did in fact win and paying Crawford 11 mil in that context was silly.

To put that in todays FOOL, last years Tanaka award winner Chong Che doesnt even make 11 mil per season for me now (about 5 mil less) and id gladly take him over Crawford any day of the week. Will Che ever make the hall?? We still have a long time to wait for that, but at least he did get a ring.

Its actually nice talking about the subject now without getting all flustered

Last edited by muns : 08-25-2009 at 05:08 PM.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote