View Single Post
Old 07-12-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Daejeon Citizen was founded in 1997, the first "community club" in the nation.

In simple terms (although it was never quite so simple) that means that Daejeon was the first professional club that wasn't owned by one of the "chaebols", what we'd call conglomerates like Samsung or LG or Hyundai.

Instead, four corporate groups shared control of the club, with the eventual intent to issue shares to private citizens. And then 1998 came, three of those groups collapsed during what is locally referred to as "the IMF Crisis". Companies like those that were on the Daejeon board -- and many larger -- went bankrupt, unemployment & uncertainty were widespread. Underfunded, Daejeon Citizen languished in the lower reaches of the K-League, even as it expanded to take in more clubs.

Then came 2001, a new manager and the first piece of silver in club history, an FA Cup win and qualification for the AFC Champions League. Despite the success on that stage, the club still remained in the bottom of the K-League table through the next season.

Then came "The Miracle of 2003", led by yet another manager. Daejeon native Choi Yun-Gyeom returned home after his playing career had ended and a brief stint leading Bucheon SK (now Jeju United), leading the club to a 6th place finish and the Group Stage of the AFC Champions League. Sadly, the club would revert to form in the decade that followed, finishing only as high as sixth one other time -- earning them their only playoff qualification in the yet-again restructured K-League -- eventually being relegated to the 2nd tier K-League Challenge division at the end of 2013.

Changes were in order. It's time, once and for all, for Daejeon to not only rise but to flourish. The infrastructure is in place: a great home, a thriving metropolis that continues to grow, a city that expects achievement.

It's time for the club that belongs to the city to have football success worthy of the civic success.

It's time.

It's Daejeon.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-12-2014 at 03:40 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote