View Single Post
Old 04-27-2014, 06:35 PM   #354
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Wed. April 5, 2023

UEFA Champions League - Quarter Final First Leg
Real Madrid (1st in Spanish Liga BBVA) vs. Dover (4th in English Premier League)
Santiago Bernabeu, Madrid, Spain

Betting Odds: Real Madrid: 4-5 (Favourites) Draw: 2-1 Dover: 3-1
Past Meetings: 1W 0D 0L

What can you say about Real Madrid? They are the richest club in this gaming world, worth in excess of £784,000,000 and are 11 time Champions League winners, most recently taking the title in 2017. They have won their domestic league 37 (!!) times but haven't won since 2020. They are leading the league this year though, with a three point edge over Atletico Madrid and a four point lead over Barcelona. Their big off-season signing was spending £31 million on Nigerian international Austin Eboh, a big striker. He's rewarded the club with 13 goals in 29 games so far. The team leader in goals is attacking midfielder Emiliano Moreno with 17 and another attacking mid, Diogo, has 15. As you'd expect, this is a deep and very talented bunch. We did play them in this year's batch of preseason friendlies and beat them 2-1, a game where we absolutely dominated the first half and held on for the one goal win. I expect a much tougher game today.

Our starting eleven will be unchanged from our last game. We'll play a counter attacking style on the road as big underdogs today and look to keep the scoreline close and hope to take advantage of a quick counter or two.

Dover: 4-4-2 Counter
GK - I. Wilke
D - R. Gaucho, C. Contreras, R. Hamon, S. Loucif
M - A. Bamba, N. Cairney, A. Rocca, G. Bolis
S - P. Moses, Chiquinho
Bench - D. Traore, K. Zagos, S. Spall, G. Fanfoni, G. Allan, F. Hernandez, Z. Bardi

Madrid are in a 4-4-2 DM (4-2-3-1) with Eboh up front alone, Moreno at AML and Diogo at AMR. Zonzamas Garrido is in goal. Ok guys - you can win this game! We are just as good a club, now lets prove it to the world!

18' - We have had the majority of highlights so far, with a few corners and shots just wide and the first shot on target is from Andrea Rocca but it's with his weaker foot and Garrido makes the easy stop.

20' - I can't tell if Madrid are just taking us lightly right now or if we're just this good. I think it's likely the former but we're completely taking the play to them right now. We have a corner and it's cleared out to Cairney, lurking outside the area. He sends the ball back into Rocca and he immediately feeds Gianluca Bolis. Our winger is on a poor angle but takes a couple steps in and shoots for the near post and Garrido doesn't even move, as it goes past him and IN! Fantastic start and we have a key away goal! DOVER GOAL 1-0

30' - Yup, it was definitely them taking us lightly! The next ten minutes are ALL MADRID and there is one breathtaking sequence where Eboh dances from the midfield line, through our midfield then avoids an attempted tackle from Contreras and he's in alone. He shoots and it's past Wilke but WIDE!

31' - Paul Moses with a yellow card.

HALFTIME - Madrid definitely controlled the second part of that half but are having trouble breaking us down. Contreras looks a bit rough so far but otherwise we're playing nice tight defence and holding enough possession to keep them honest. In fact, we hold 52% of the ball in that half and have a 10-8 (2-1 on target) shot advantage too. I tell the team I'm pleased.

Madrid change their look, moving to a flat 4-4-2 formation.

46' - Eboh has tons of flair and simply dances through our defence and shoots and Wilke is tested for the first time in the game but makes the brilliant stop. His first save was on a shot from distance in the first half.

61' - Not many great chances for either side. I'm a bit leery of Contreras today so I take him out and bring in some additional veteran presence with Daniel Traore.

64' - Eboh has the ball in the middle and sends a wonderful pass into the area and charging in is Madrid's leading scorer Moreno. He's in on goal and makes no mistake, putting it underneath Wilke and the game is tied. REAL MADRID GOAL 1-1

Madrid take out Eboh and move back to their preferred 4-2-3-1 formation.

71' - Madrid has an injury and they use their last substitute, moving back to a flat 4-4-2.

75' - Khalid Jaouhari moves into our area and shoots hard at Wilke and he bumps it out to safety. They get the ball back and make some nice little passes into the area and there is Diogo, completely unmarked and his shot is past Wilke and in. Well, damn. REAL MADRID GOAL 1-2

I take out Arsene Bamba and bring in Graham Allan. I also switch to a control mentality.

We can't generate anything and I resist the urge to press too much for fear of giving up another goal. Tough way to lose but it's Madrid and we're still in it heading back home.

Real Madrid 2 - 1 Dover
Goals - Gianluca Bolis (7.5)
Assists - Andrea Rocca (7.7)
Man of the Match - Andrea Rocca
Other Dover Notables -
Attendance - 77,034

Madrid were unquestionably the better team in the second half but in reality, they just took advantage of their two best opportunities. They end up holding 52% of possession but we outshot them 15-14 (2-5 on target). Rocca was excellent today and I continue to feel let down lately by Chiquinho. These are the games where we need his experience and goal scoring ability. Moses was also neutralized well. Rocca played great but it's still surprising to see him get Man of the Match honours in a losing effort.

Transfer News

-- Midfielder Jonathan Gauthier agrees to a contract with Australian club Perth Glory FC and will make the move in the summer. The 21 year old has never played a senior level game for our club so it's no loss whatsoever.

Next Up

-- We're back at home, hosting Newcastle in Premier League action.

Last edited by NoSkillz : 04-27-2014 at 06:38 PM.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote