Thread: 2020 MLB thread
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2020, 02:49 PM   #689
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
This Covid season has been the most enjoyable season for me in some time. With less than 2 weeks to go in the regular season, only 7 of the 16 playoff spots have been clinched. Giving us games that actually mean something all the way to the wire.

If MLB could get creative and not worry about upsetting the traditionalists they could use this year to make some changes that might actually bring some new fans.

I would like to see the following
1-Keep 16 teams post season
2-Keep 7 inning double headers and schedule 5 or 6 each season for everyone to shorten the season a week or so.
3-Universal DH

I was not crazy about the runner on 2B to start extra innings initially, but I am actually on the fence now, and if it was adopted I wouldn't mind.

As long as we are being crazy, to keep an element of the "sprint" concept that the shorter season brought.

Change the season to 156 games and play a 78 game split season.

Playoff spots go to.

Each split season division winner = 6 (If a team wins both splits, the 2nd best overall record in the division gets the 2nd spot)

Next 5 best overall records in both leagues get the remaining 10 spots.

Or, expand to 32 teams, 4 divisions and play a regular length season with the 4 division winners and next 4 best records getting into the playoffs. Would not keep as many teams in play, but would still offer some intrigue all season long and would make teams more aggressive at the trade deadline.

i know the split season would have a snowballs chance in hell, but they have done it before and it really would make a long season mean something for the entire season.

It would be nice if they would commit to playing one series in every park every 3 seasons. You can play the other 10 teams in your league 6 times(60 games). Each Division opponent 18 times(72 games) 5 road series away at the other league(15 games) 5 home series vs the other league(15 games). That's a much better usage of 162 games instead of the current Yankees visit Pittsburgh once every 6 odd seasons approach.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote