View Single Post
Old 07-12-2016, 08:25 PM   #157
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Alright everyone, it's time.

Time for the Z

Roger Zelazny. One of the greatest writers of fantasy. Winner of many awards. Nebula. Hugo. A bit of a legend himself. The Z.

In 1986 he wrote the novella, "24 views from Mt. Fuji, by Hokusai". It won the Hugo.

If you can find it somewhere, you need to. This is a major work of art. It's beyond the normal stuff, and I'm going to give you a hint, that's it's going to get 5 stars in a review from me, right up front. I's around 60 pages in one of my collections.

The Z regualrly experimented with form of the stories, and pushed teh boundaries of what was expected and accepable. He is a discovery and a devotee of Michael Moorcock.

And this is amn anazing work.

I know people who think his magnum opus, the Chronicles of Amber, is overated or without a lot of action, but who just love this. This is just mythic. It's good good.

Orginally published in Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine, and was nominated for a Nebula, and lost, and won the Hugo., It's also in Frost and Fire, The New Hugo Winners, Volume II, Urania #1199, The Last Defender of Camelot, and Cthulhu 2000.

Find a library. Get it. Read it. Love it.

Oh, and while you are looking for Zelany's stuff, do yourself a favor and pick up "A Night in the Lonesome October", his last novel, published in 1993. It's his best, my favorite, and one of my favorite novels by anyone ever. It's set in the Mythos, and I'll tell you now, that the main character is Jack the Ripper's dog. Grab it. Love it. Thank me later.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 07-12-2016 at 08:29 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote