View Single Post
Old 04-17-2024, 10:14 PM   #22
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
What makes you say this? Every time we have gotten into a war (declared or not), the sitting President gets a significant approval boost for at least a year, the most recent example being the 2nd Iraq War. Precedent is not on your side, but if you think it'll be different this time, I'd be interested in the rationale.

I think the public has shifted a lot in regards to direct involvement in wars in the Middle East. You cite the 2nd Iraq War, but that became incredibly unpopular by the end of Bush's 2nd term. Obama beat Hillary and McCain in large part to his opposition to the war. Trump bludgeoned Hillary in his campaign over her support of the wars. And Biden made ending Afghanistan a part of his campaign.

Polls show little support for direct involvement too. It's why we've seen a shift toward proxy wars and weapon sales to appease the defense industry.

But most importantly, Iran is no joke. That would be an incredibly ugly war and I don't think there is much support to send Americans off to die for Israel. And a lot of Americans would die.

Quote:
Republicans have literally passed state bills to severely restrict voting rights and are still trying to get bills passed (and past SCOTUS) that would take the direct franchise away from voters and give it to legislatures (in states where they control those, of course).

And the response from Democrats is running an unpopular 82-year old man who is pushing for bills his base doesn't support and is the weakest foreign policy leader since Carter. It's letting Marco Rubio pick your judges. Keeping Senate rules like the filibuster. Letting a dementia riddled Senator hold up the confirmation of judges for months.

Either Democrats don't think democracy is in danger or don't care.

Quote:
On this I agree, especially running on abortion. Everyone knows what RvW was, and that it was overturned, and you can hammer home the idea (with real examples) that certain states have criminalized a woman's autonomy over her body.

It's kind of the only issue they have. They don't seem particularly interested in any kind of meaningful legislation outside of shoveling money to the defense industry at the moment.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote