View Single Post
Old 09-15-2015, 10:09 PM   #132
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

One thing I forgot to mention is that I've been out of rr2 for some days now. Learned everything I can, and really trying to keep up with a world at that pace is just a time sink for me, one that I didn't think was worth it anymore. The primary story in rr1 continues of course.

Girish Girsh was the fourth seed in Tashkent, and easily made it to the final against Jens Petersen. A year and a half ago Petersen had handled him easily. This one was a different story, the first tight match Girsh has had in some while. After an quick first set it could have gone either way, with Petersen looking the better player at many points, but he pulled through 6-2, 5-7, 6-4, claiming his first 'plus' Challenger title, the biggest he's won so far.

World Team Cup, Level 2 Semifinals
Luxembourg vs. Sri Lanka

Monday: M. Groeneveldt d. G. Girsh, 6-3, 6-3, 6-4
Tuesday: A. Mehul d. A. Zagallo, 6-2, 6-1, 6-0
Wednesday: A. Mehul/G. Girsh d. M. Groeneveldt/L. Helms, 6-4, 6-2, 6-2
Thursday: A. Mehul d. M. Groeneveldt, 6-3, 6-1, 6-0
Friday: G. Girsh d. A. Zagallo, 6-0, 6-0, 6-1

Sri Lanka defeats Luxembourg, 4-1!!

A win here was expected, but I was surprised at how well Girsh performed. Better resistance than I thought he'd put up against Groeneveldt, though the better player was clear, contributing to another good doubles win for a change, and a dominant win in the final rubber. We'll meet Italy, 4-1 winners over Serbia, for the Level 2 title at the end of the year. They are the toughest opponent on the other side of the draw, no top players but two solid ones. Girsh could either win both or lose both depending on how it goes. If it were held on clay, we might even lose to them, but since an indoor surface has been drawn it should be a pretty easy win.

That's not for over two months though. Sri Lanka moves up four more spots to the latest high of 29th. Girsh has played a lot lately, and he'll be taking probably over a month off now for training. Mehul has Shanghai coming up in a couple of weeks, and is in need of a big result there. Planning his schedule for the end of the year will be dicey, and will hinge on what his chances are in the Race heading into the last few weeks of the season.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote