World Team Cup, Group Three, Third Round
Czech Republic(2nd) vs. Sri Lanka(7th), Hardcourt

Monday: A. Iglar d. G. Girsh, 7-6(9), 6-2, 6-2
Tuesday: A. Mehul d. C. Marcek, 6-2, 6-4, 6-3
Wednesday: L. Nedved/J. Simunek d. S. Ujjaval/R. Kuttikad, 6-0, 6-0, 6-0
Thursday: A. Iglar d. A. Mehul, 6-2, 6-3, 6-2
Friday: C. Marcek d. G. Girsh, 6-4, 6-3, 4-6, 3-6, 7-5

Czech Republic defeats Sri Lanka, 4-1!!

Yeck. The less said about this the better. I can't remember the last time we failed to win at least two rubbers in a WTC tie. Only one competitive set against Iglar, a triple-bagel from our hideous doubles team, and Girsh's winning streak against Marcek is even gone. A dead heat of a match that one was, but still. The Czech's take the group decisively. Most of the others to advance weren't surprising, but Group 4 lived up to it's uncertain billing with France, Italy, and Russia all tying by winning two of three rounds. Russia had by far the worst match record at just 8-7 though, so the other two move on.

Sri Lanka stays at 7th in the world rankings at least. More importantly, the draw for the knockout rounds was quite kind to us. Here's how the matchups shake out:

** United States(1st) vs. Italy(13th), Clay
** Czech Republic(2nd) vs. Austria(9th), Clay

These are interesting in that obviously the Czechs and the US are huge favorites and really should be headed to the final against each other in a perfect world. However, both of their opponents are probably at their best advantage on the dirt. I doubt that'll be enough to cause an upset though. A blockbuster semfinal between the titans is still expected.

** Argentina(3rd) vs. Peru(8th), Indoors

There's more than a little bit of irony here with some of the world's best clay-courters going at it on a fast track. I like Peru here though, the Herreras are right now the best players in this matchup, and more adept indoors than Argentina's top threat, Gustavo Carratti.

** France(5th) vs. Sri Lanka(7th), Hardcourt

The French are young, talented, and improving. This should still be a gimme though, even with a few more months improvement. Right now I'd favor us for our second final in three years against one of the top pair from the other side of the bracket. Finding a way to reverse the slump we appear to be in right now in terms of Mehul and Girsh's playing level is a much bigger concern than any of the opposition before that point.

Coming Up ...

Monte Carlo gets the clay season underway.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote