View Single Post
Old 07-24-2016, 05:16 PM   #438
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

World Team Cup Semifinals
United States(1st) vs. Sri Lanka(2nd), Indoors

Here we go, the tie that will likely make or break our year.

Monday: A. Mehul d. P. Gaskell, 6-4, 6-2, 6-1
Tuesday: G. Girsh d. G. McCuskey, 6-2, 6-3, 6-1
Wednesday: C. Dring/J. Loudermilk d. S. Ujjaval/R. Kuttikad, 6-1, 6-1, 6-1
Thursday: G. Girsh d. P. Gaskell, 7-6(1), 6-2, 6-4
Friday: A. Mehul d. G. McCuskey, 6-1, 6-4, 6-3

Sri Lanka defeats the United States, 4-1!!

This was basically over after the first day. Gaskell had to go nuts for us to lose and he wasn't up to the task. Indoors is our best surface, so that was a bad bit of luck for the Americans but we would have been favored anywhere. Unfortunate to see Mooljee drop off the doubles team but pairs just haven't been his thing for his whole career for whatever reason.

Additionally, as I hoped, we have finally ascended to the top spot. Sri Lanka is now the #1-ranked tennis nation in the world!!! It's taken a long time, but my top goal for this dynasty has now been achieved. More on where I go from here at the end of the year.

Of course it isn't over yet. France edged Argentina 3-2, with a Thursday meeting between Gustavo Caratti and Davide Poilblan the key. Caratti had beaten Bourdet but needed to win both of his singles rubbers with the Argentine #2, Max Benitez, not at the same level(world no. 63 at the time). Poilblan outlasted him on the grass in an epic match, 6-4, 6-7(3), 4-6, 6-3, 7-5. It was another one of those where the 'wrong' player won; Caratti was just 3 of 13 on break chances, consistently pushing harder in his return games but it wasn't quite enough.

France moves up a spot to third, validating my prediction of a few years back that the Bourdet/Poilblan duo would make them a force. The final will be played on hardcourt. They are very much like us, not strong in doubles but two excellent singles players. Not excellent enough though. We'll be strongly favored.

Elsewhere ...

With the Czech Republic already eliminated, Antonin Iglar won the Malaysian Open(250, Indoors). This normally wouldn't be worth discussing, but it edged him just ahead(25 points out of more than 10k each) of Mehul, who drops to third now. This will affect the draw in Shanghai and beyond significantly.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote