View Single Post
Old 11-28-2018, 02:13 PM   #103
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Ok I didn't watch the video and so I don't know exactly what was said and I don't approve of racism, but I get the understanding that the school is punishing kids for speech that did NOT occur on school grounds? If so then that seems like a bit of overreach to me and the kids might actually have a 1st Amendment case against the school system.
I don't get the impression that it occurred on school grounds, but some behaviors are prohibited off campus. I just double-checked our county's student handbook to verify, and yeah, off-campus behavior is mentioned. I'm sure the district's lawyers signed off on that long ago. And the spokesperson who talked with the media said that the students were disciplined in accordance with the Code of Conduct that students and parents sign off on at the beginning of the year.

FWIW, if they played any sports, Northwest has even broader language about on and off campus behavior in its code of conduct for its athletes.