View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 02:26 PM   #131
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I just think there are differing levels/degrees of being a racist. And I do believe there can be acceptable mitigating circumstances to explain it (not accomplishment specific).

Otherwise, you are condemning a bunch of folks worldwide who are "racist".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Let's agree on the definition of racism if we want to continue this discussion so we are not talking past each other.

If you have another definition, please reference it.

racism - Dictionary Definition : Vocabulary.com

I think I'll pass on this conversation. I don't think it will be particularly fruitful or enlightening. I am pretty comfortable condemning a bunch of folks worldwide who are racist.

That said, don't you find it a bit odd that the chosen definition includes an example where "Japanese" and "German" are some how considered races as opposed to, say, nationalities?

I think either of these definitions would be more succinct and accurate:

Racism | Definition of Racism by Merriam-Webster

racism | Definition of racism in English by Oxford Dictionaries
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote