View Single Post
Old 01-28-2019, 06:41 AM   #133
Edward64
Head Coach

I didn't watch the episode but based on what I read in the article, pretty true statement I agree with. I think where he failed is speaking only about Hispanics, it really applies to other immigrants so he should have broadened the context. (As we discussed earlier, the next generation born in the US will assimilate much better)

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/27/media...ess/index.html
Quote:
Former "NBC Nightly News" anchor Tom Brokaw tweeted Sunday that he regrets saying that Hispanics should "work harder at assimilation" into American culture.

"I feel terrible a part of my comments on Hispanics offended some members of that proud culture," he said at the beginning of a series of tweets.
:
Criticism erupted after Brokaw, 78, commented on Hispanics and assimilation during Sunday's broadcast of "Meet the Press." He said on the show that his view on assimilation is one he's been sharing "for a long time."

"You know, they ought not to be just codified in their communities but make sure that all their kids are learning to speak English, and that they feel comfortable in the communities," he said. "And that's going to take outreach on both sides [Republican and Democrat], frankly."

I did a little more research and the better quote is

Tom Brokaw Apologizes For ‘Meet The Press’ “Brown Grandbabies” Remark | Deadline
Quote:
Appearing as a panelist on this morning’s show (see video via Twitter below), Brokaw said when he “pushes” Americans on the subject of immigration, “They say, ‘Well, I don’t know whether I want brown grand-babies.’ That’s also a part of it, the intermarriage that’s going on and the cultures that are conflicting with each other. I also happen to believe that the Hispanics should work harder at assimilation. … You know, they ought not to be just codified in their communities but make sure that all their kids are learning to speak English and that they feel comfortable in the communities. And that’s going to take outreach on both sides, frankly.”

After the startling take started to ricochet around Twitter — fueled, of course, by right-wing bloggers and activists but also by stupefied Brokaw partisans on the left — the NBC legend responded via Twitter.

“I feel terrible a part of my comments on Hispanics offended some members of that proud culture,” Brokaw tweeted in the first of a multi-part apology. In addition to highlighting his work over the decades on immigration coverage, he emphasized the end of his Meet the Press remarks, which called for “both sides” to work on assimilation.

Its a little weird that CNN did not provide more of the quote.

There are some criticisms quote also. One implies Brokaw is a racist for saying this. This I disagree with.

Quote:
Some journalists on social media quickly criticized Brokaw's comments. Aura Bogado, an investigative immigration reporter at Reveal, said Brokaw was "arguing classic white supremacist talking points in a deeply racist rant on national television."
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote