View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 05:14 AM   #25
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Man, what a long day yesterday.

We went 1-2 against some tough competition. It was both frustrating because we had a chance to win all 3 games and lost them with mistakes, but heartening because this team has some tremendous talent and we're gonna be REAL good next year. With only 2 second-year players, this year is about the learning experience and next year is/should be about kicking ass.

First game, we lost 5-2. All 5 runs scored on errors. We finally started hitting in the last inning and had a runner thrown out at home to end the game. Caitlin went 0-2 but made a couple of diving catches on line drives at 1B.

Second game, Caitlin pitched against the team everyone hates. We have personal history with this team, as they beat our previous team in the last AB 3 times last year. And they did it again. Caitlin was not sharp at all - part of it was nerves, I think. She walked 2 in the 1st inning and gave up 3 hits and they scored 2, then added 1 more in the 3rd. We were down 3-0 going into the bottom of the 4th when we finally started hitting. Caitlin came up with the score 3-1 and a runner on, and absolutely jacked one down the LF line within about 5 feet of leaving the park to knock in a run. The field we were playing on was a baseball field, so they had a temp fence up and the ball got stuck in it, so instead of a triple, she had a ground-rule double. We ended up scoring 2 more to take a 4-3 lead. All we needed was 3 outs.

I knew we were in trouble when Caitlin struck out their best hitter on a change-up in the dirt to start the inning, and it got away from the catcher so she was safe at 1st. Stole second, then baited our catcher into throwing at her and she stole third and scored on a bad throw. So now we're tied. Then they got a couple of hits, scored again, and finally an error on our SS on a routine play scored the 6th run. We put up a rally in the bottom of the inning but only scored once and lost 6-5. Caitlin was devastated. Not exactly sure of her stat line, but I think it was 5 IP, 7 hits, 3 walks, 9 Ks, 6 R, 4 ER.

Third game we finally got to have some fun. We scored in every inning and won 8-1. Caitlin had a single and 2 walks.

So we finished 1-2 on the day, which was good for third seed in our pool. We play at 1:30 in the single-elimination tournament. Gonna be a hot day.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote