View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 04:10 PM   #184
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Alzar spends a lot of time in the library and has found a few things. First of all, on the desk, is a reference book . It catalogues all of the books in the library, along with symbols to show which ones are trapped. How convenient of Castanamir.

There are some evil spellbooks with spell traps on them, and normal ones. Three spellbooks are still untouched, but the rest of the normal spellbooks were destroyed.

Alzar has a task for Estaish. Go to Athaly, and find me a scroll of Dispel Magic. Money is no object. Teleport it back when you have it.

Five days later, the scroll appears. It cost Alzar 1000 gold – a lot more than it is worth. He unfurls it and tires to learn the spell. He rolls a 39 - success. He now knows Dispel Magic.

(Here is the problem. Alzar has only a 5% chance of success at dispelling the explosive runes and/or fire traps on the books. In order to reliably ensure that it worked, he should cast around 40 Dispel Magics on JUST ONE BOOK in order to make sure the book is ready to be used. However, that would take 40 days for just one book. That’s way too hard. I can’t, as a DM, have one of my characters do that. So, instead, we’ll make up something.

Alzar’s research into the library has brought some success. He has discovered that the trapped spellbooks can be held, not opened, but held by cold. Alzar goes to the freezer in the first room and freezes the gloves of Fire Resistance, and then takes them to the library and puts them on and takes the first spellbook. Success. Alzar puts the spellbooks in a chest and closes and locks it with a key he found. Now no one will touch them.

He has secured, for the future, 3 regular spellbooks and 9 evil spellbooks – one for each level of magic.

Alzar has found all of the information needed on how ot summon and control gingwatzim. 2500 gold for this unique information, and the five books and two manuscripts that show it.

He finds info on how to make the portals, but it’s a bit over his head (needs a20 Int to get it). He gets some basic stuff, but not a lot. He files it for later. (12 books, worth about 1000 total)

The catalogue shows that many of the books here have little value. The dictionaries, language books, notes on culture, these are several sections, and not a lot of value.

However, Alzar finds a section of books to be very, very interesting. These is a section of roughly 100 books on summoning and conjuring. Some of these are very detailed and very interesting. It’s worth roughly 15,000. It is a complete research library on conjuration spells and magic all the way up to 9th level. Any research that needed to be done on conjuration and summoning, from rituals to spells, can be found in here, at least as a starting base.

They are all added.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote