View Single Post
Old 10-07-2019, 08:16 AM   #7069
revrew
Team Chaplain

Joker - 8/10

First off, let me say, I'm no comic book fanboy. I don't give a crap whether this film is proper "canon" for a Joker origin story or not. I've never watched animated Jokers, never read the comic books, so I just don't care.

Secondly, let me say that I think the most important element of a superhero film is the quality of the villain, and thus, IMO, "The Dark Knight" is the best superhero movie yet made.

And for fans of Dark Knight and Heath Ledger's performance, this film absolutely did it justice. I can totally see "Joker" as the origin story of Heath Ledger's portrayal. And "Joker" is much more like a Christopher Nolan film - dark and passionate and cerebral - than any MCU comic book movie. [Plus, Phoenix threw in a couple of homages to Ledger, including his stilted walk and a key line delivered in Ledger style].

The story itself and the directing of this film is what really shot it up the chart for me. Many people will ooh and ahh over Joaquin Phoenix's performance, which was very good and up to the difficult task before him (and that's a big compliment), but I was mesmerized by the music, the descent into madness, the completely believable formation of his twisted ethics that would make him into the iconic villain.

Loved this movie. When I give a film a 9 or a 10, it means I think it's "Best Picture" contender, so I have it an 8, the highest score I could that falls just short of that level. While I wouldn't be surprised to see it remembered come awards time, I do recognize a few flaws (mostly, a few places where the movie and/or Phoenix were trying a little TOO hard).
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote