View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #13
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Jan. 2013 Recruiting

I really thought we had Julius Douglas locked up, but at the last second he got an offer from Gonzaga and took it. Now we have 2 scholarships and are back to square one. We've send offers to PG Jamey Bigelow and SG Piero Cuneo.

Jan. 2013 Games

1/1- beat Kapaun Mt. Carmel 68-64 (8-7, 3-1) -- This was a hard fought victory as we had to come from behind, trailing by 7 with 3:30 to go. Jimmie Thorton had a double double with 10 points, 13 boards.

1/5- lost to Wichita Northwest 75-63 (8-8, 3-2) -- 22 turnovers did us in tonight, and 18 of those were steals. Just careless passing, but credit their on ball defense, as they were sharp. Joseph Crone had 19 points, 6 rebounds, and 4 assists to lead us.

1/10- lost to Wichita East 88-77 (8-9, 3-3) -- Another 20+ turnover game. We ended up with 20 even this game. Gotta start taking care of the ball better and stop telegraphing passes. Richard Slaughter led us with 16 points, 5 boards, and 5 dimes.

- We will be switching things up this game, as the 1-3-1 zone just isn't working. We'll switch between straight man to man and 2-3 zone. Also, I've implored the guys in practice to slow the pace down. Teams get so many steals on us because we pass the ball so quickly that we don't look to see where the defense is. We'll see how next game goes.

1/12- lost to Wichita Southeast 96-72 (8-10, 3-4) -- The losing streak is 3 games. Let's face it, we are not a good defensive team. Southeast shot almost 60% on us. At least we only committed 14 turnovers, that is a slight improvement. David Santiago was our leading scorer with 19 points and 6 boards.

1/15- lost to Bishop Carroll 92-84 (8-11, 3-5) -- Halfway through the conference season and we are a struggling team. BC shot 58.9%, the second straight team to shoot that percentage against us. Going back to the 2-3 zone, it can't do any worse. David Santiago had 22 points and Richard Slaughter had 20.

1/19- lost to Wichita North 74-67 (8-12, 3-6) -- I'm just glad we held a team under 80 points again, but we just can't seem to put a full 40 minutes together. Shooting let us down tonight, as we hit just 33.3% of our shots. Joseph Crone had 20 points and 6 assists for us.

1/24- beat Wichita Heights 83-74 (9-12, 4-6) -- Hallelujah the streak is over! We forced 24 turnovers tonight, doing to them what teams have been doing to us all season. Hopefully this will spark something and turn our season around. 15 points, 5 boards, and 5 dimes for Joseph Crone while Richard Slaughter led us in scoring with 17.

1/28- beat Murray State 90-72 (10-12) -- A good non-conference win as we dominated from start to finish. Richard Slaughter could not be stopped. He was 12-16 from the field including 3-4 from 3p land and finished with 32 points.

1/31- beat Wichita South 81-69 (11-12, 5-6) -- This game was a lot tougher than it should have been, as it was tied at halftime. We found a new potential star tonight in Raul Luis. He had been complaining about playing time so I decided to start him at center tonight and he responded with 19 points and 10 rebounds. I forsee him being in the starting lineup from now on.

January Wrap-Up

Well, I'm happy that we finished the month on a 3 game win streak, but that losing streak in the middle of the month really hurt us. We are 5th in the GWAL right now, but the top 4 teams all have 8 wins, so winning the GWAL may be out of the question. The goal right now is just to make the postseason.
collegesportsfanms is offline   Reply With Quote