View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
Big Six
High School Varsity

Goodness, Discipline, Knowledge, and Hockey, Revisited: St. Michael's Majors (EHM)

About three years ago, I started a dynasty story about the St. Michael's Majors of the Ontario Hockey League. I don't know why I didn't get very far with it, because as I remember, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I suppose I got so busy with "real life" that I lost touch with the story.

Anyway, I decided I really missed playing Eastside Hockey Manager, so I decided to begin another Majors dynasty tale. I hope some of you will enjoy reading about a major junior hockey team's pursuit of excellence.

I'm copying much of the introduction to my previous Majors story here.

The St. Michael's Majors are one of the most historic clubs in Canadian major junior hockey. The Majors were founded by the St. Michael's College School in Toronto in 1906, and played in the Ontario Hockey League and its predecessor, the Ontario Hockey Association, until 1961. The Majors won the Canadian amateur championship in 1910, and captured the Memorial Cup--given to Canada's top major junior team--three times.

After winning the Cup in 1961, the Majors' coach, Father David Bauer, disbanded the team. According to the Majors' website, Father Bauer believed the OHL's "grueling schedule and rough play conflicted with the school’s ideals."

The 1961 Memorial Cup champions: last of an era

The Majors returned to the OHL in 1996, and have been part of the league ever since. In 2001, the school sold the team to Eugene Melnyk, who is now the owner of the Ottawa Senators. Melnyk tried for several years to secure a new arena for the team, even attempting to purchase Maple Leaf Gardens. When none of these plans worked, Melnyk purchased another OHL club, the Mississauga IceDogs. Then, Melnyk sold the IceDogs and moved the Majors into the Dogs' old home in the Toronto suburbs. The IceDogs relocated to St. Catharines, where they're now known as the Niagara Ice Dogs.

I've enjoyed managing OHL teams using Eastside Hockey Manager for a while now. In the "world" created by EHM, the year is 2006; the Majors still play at the St. Michael's College School Arena in Toronto; and the IceDogs still call Mississauga their home. (I could edit the database to reflect the "real" changes, but I'd rather simply play the game.) So, in my hockey world, the Majors still represent their original home in Toronto.

I'm taking over as GM of the Majors as the 2006-2007 season begins. I'll introduce you to the players, coaches, and staff, and we'll follow them as they attempt to bring the Memorial Cup back to Toronto.

The Majors' rich history has been built by great players like Bobby Bauer, Gerry Cheevers, Tim Horton, Red Kelly, Dave Keon, Ted Lindsay, Frank Mahovlich, Reg Noble, and Joe Primeau. The players you'll meet in this dynasty are fictional, but perhaps some of them will become legends in their hockey universe, too.

It's August, 2006. Let's get ready to drop the puck...

Last edited by Big Six : 11-08-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Big Six is offline   Reply With Quote