View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #9
Big Six
High School Varsity

3 November 2006

Majors Nation is feeling really good about two trades we made in the past week. Two of our sharpest scouts watched the Erie Otters play one night, and developed man crushes on centre Nicholas Fréchette. His report card from the scouts was almost as good as it gets--straight A/A- grades, with the exception of a B+ for defense. They projected him to score about 115(!!) points this season, and since he had 10 goals and 12 assists in his first 14 games, that projection might not be too much of a stretch.

Sometimes when I see a beast like Fréchette, I'll float out a trade inquiry to see what his GM has to say. I was expecting to read that Nicholas was untouchable. When I instead saw that the Otters might be willing to make a deal involving him, I quickly put together an offer.

The next day, Nicholas Fréchette became a St. Michael's Major!

He's 19, stands 6'2", and weighs 192 pounds. The New York Islanders made him their #1 pick in the 2005 draft. He's described as a "dangerous playmaking centre," and I really like the sound of that. A native of Sherbrooke, Québec, Nicholas wears #4 on his sweater to honor his hero, Jean Béliveau. He'll immediately step in to center our #1 line, and he'll be a key member of both power plays.

We had to give the Otters Danny Cook, Sam Spencer, and a 10th round pick in the May 2007 draft. That's a steep price, as both Cook and Spencer have promise, but the chance to add a real boss to our squad was too good to pass up.

The Guelph Storm were disappointed with the play of defenceman Andrejs Grundmanis, so they were willing to part with him for $55,000 Canadian. We like Grundmanis better than the Storm did; I took a look at his attributes and his scouting reports, and I think he'll be a very good addition to our squad.

Grundmanis is a big (6'2", 194) 18-year-old blueliner with a heavy slapshot, and he's very fast and agile for his size. Andrejs hails from Daugavplis, Latvia, and he's already friends with his countryman, Juris Brencis. If Andrejs and Juris weren't both more comfortable on the left side, I might pair them together. Andrejs' defence-first style would blend well with Juris' tendency to carry the puck and join the rush.

With a record of 10-6-2, we're second in the conference, one point behind Oshawa. Jack McIntosh still leads the scoring race, with a 11-14-25 line.

Last edited by Big Six : 11-08-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Big Six is offline   Reply With Quote