View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #19
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Taking my four-year old to his first live football game tonight. The local high school (to which I have no connection other than the fact that it is five minutes from our house) is playing its first home game.

It will be his first football game ever any my first high school game since 1994. Very much looking forward to it.
Our 3-year-old accompanied us to a couple of Charleston Southern games when she was 6ish months old, but hasn't been to a game since. I was just thinking last night that I'll be taking her to see the Hanahan Hawks at least once this fall. She loves watching football on TV with Daddy. I checked the schedule and they were out of town last night, but I'll no doubt take her to a game in the next few weeks. I randomly popped in on a high school basketball game with her last winter and she absolutely loved the crowd, cheerleaders, etc., so I'd expect a similar reaction. (By randomly, I mean that we were in the car heading home from somewhere else, and I saw all the cars and said, "Hmmm...she might like this.")

Hanahan has gone through, for them, a down cycle after moving up to Class AAA a few seasons ago. They had a streak of 8ish straight Region Titles before the move. The population of our little municipality grew by more than 40% from 2000 to 2010, the growth mostly fueled by the huge new development in which I live. My general observation about the development as a whole is that the population of high school kids who grew up playing football is probably relatively low, so basically my guess is that the school has added numbers, forcing them to play at a higher level, but without really adding much talent. The development is very large, and is heavily populated by parents of younger kids. There's simply no way the school will support the population as these kids grow up. If we're living in this house 11 years from now when Carter is a freshman, I expect she will be attending a high school that doesn't exist today (unless she goes to private school.) So for now, we will be Hanahan fans, but we're not donating to the QB Club of the likely eventual enemy.

The Hawks play rival Bishop England at home this Friday night. BE is a private Catholic School that's fairly nearby. Heading toward the beach, it's the closest high school to Hanahan, and it may be the closest one period. The Bishops are still AA, so this is no longer a Region game. The wife and kid are heading to the in-laws' on Thursday for a long Labor Day Weekend and it's a busy time at work, so I need to stay here. Serendipitously, they're trying to start YoungLife at Hanahan with a very young leadership team, so the local director has called on the wise old retired vet to take the college kids to dinner before a game, impart some wisdom, and show 'em how to meet kids in the stands at a high school football game without coming off like a stalker. Should be fun.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 08-26-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote