View Single Post
Old 06-02-2006, 07:55 AM   #343
QuikSand
lolzcat

Chesapeake Retirement Watch

Though we are still a team in “building” mode, we have continued to rely on a number of veterans throughout the process. I am just not wild about offering playing time to marginal young players – in general, I think the real “value” lies in aging players who still have solid skills. Thus – we continue to use players like that, despite trying to remain focused on the future.

So, who might walk off at season’s end?

DT Eugene Bradham and LB Travis Kuykendall lead the list here – both are guys who have missed a **lot** of time to injuries, and are now back. It appears to me that Bradham has only showed visible signs of age-related erosion – so if he were actually able to play, he would probably be a pretty decent pass-rushing DL for us. Kuykendall took a big ratings whack after getting past his long term injury, but he still looks like a pretty decent linebacker – again, the question is will he return at all, and if so, will we be able to rely on him for meaningful playing time?

Also on the list of worries are a few other venerable types:

RB Bill Briner comes off a very solid season as a great niche-filler for us (the straight-ahead component of a RB-by-committee approach), but ends his 13th season with a leg injury.

S Mark Carr remains a very useful jack-of-all-trades for us in the secondary, and we’d miss his play if he chose to depart after his 12th season – but we expect him to be back.

There are other older players we’d miss, but those four are the names that we really would like to not see listed on the retirement list. If DE Alvin Hall decides to walk, it would be tough to take – but he would clear out so much cap space that it wouldn’t be as great a loss as some others.

We’ll keep an eye out. My best guess is that DT Bradham will walk, and we’ll see maybe one or two other guys not from this list, but that the rest of the central bunch will be back.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote