View Single Post
Old 01-10-2006, 08:13 PM   #274
hoopsguy
General Manager

Still 3 undefeated teams - glad we have a playoff system to take care of this. Wisky, Washington State, and Pitt hold down the top 3 spots. I'll update the rankings after the regular season is complete.

Looks like the reason Greisen was playing for USC earlier in the year was because of an injury to redshirt freshman John McAdoo. He was the #3 recruit in the nation the year before and is already really good. So Greisen gave up 3 years of starting for us to back this guy up. Perfect. In six games McAdoo has an 11-3 TD/INT ratio and has thrown for 1834 yards.

The Trojans have a menacing two-back attack. JR Solomon VanWagner has 1,00 yards for the 2nd straight season, although his YPC is down over a yard from last year (to 4.45). SO Jerry King is just as good. He has one start in two years, but still has compiled almost 1700 yards and 18 TDs in a backup role. Both of these guys were Top 10 players coming out of HS.

The WR position is not as loaded - we have a talent edge here. Bill Phillips is a holdover from my recruiting. He has almost 3,000 yards for his career despite having all of 9 yards as a freshman. But he hasn't thrived this year with the new QB. SO Jay Lucas torched us last year. A short (5-8), thick (194 pounds) receiver who has some burst after the catch.

USC also has the best 1-2 punch on the O-Line that we have seen. OT James Blue is a four year starter with 19 key run blocks a year after compiling 24 pancakes. C Jameel Isenbarger, another senior, will compete with our guy for all-conference honors.

Defensively, this is not a vintage USC team. SR DT Marc Burks leads the team in sacks with 4. He is a fearsome run stopper. True freshman MLB Jesse Watts is the leading tackler with 59. I expect him to be a top talent in the conference, thanks to his combination of natural ability and unbelievable work habits.

USC has a pair of freshman safeties with terrific potential, but we have to take advantage of them this year. But Willie Smith and Jerry Jansen will be heard from.

Overall, I really think we have to get a win this year while their defense is still young. Because USC is going to be a bear next season with all of their young talent.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote