View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #15
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

So here's the draft preview. He's projected to go at 14 to the Knicks. Without the injury, maybe he's a Top 5 selection? In any case, we'll see where it all flops out. One unfortunate thing about FBB is that players don't really "drop" in the draft after bad workouts or whatever, so you have to sort of suspend reality. I wish there was more of that, because it'd add to the intrigue of the draft. I've just taken to making sure the foreign league players are inserted, because that keeps stuff pretty honest.

Spoiler

At 14, the Knicks took German forward Silvester Voegler who fell in the draft after three years in the Bundesliga for some reason. In any case, the 24 year old went where Bishop was supposed to go. Reggie is still on the board.

Reggie ends up going 16th overall to the Kansas City Kings who have missed the playoffs every year since 1982 when they made the Finals. (It's currently 1997)

So there's no doubt they can use a guy with Reggie Bishop's ability. The problem for Bishop is mostly that the NBA rookie salary structure is less than what he was making as a professional in Russia minus endorsements.

So the dilemma he has now is, does he goes to the Kings and help this team out of the doldrums in the hopes that someday he can cash in on a large NBA contract (I'm playing with consistent modern finances) or does he go back to Europe where his reputation will earn him a payday of several million per year?

The Kings have stated they have no plans to trade his rights away, though several teams are interested. They hope that they can convince him to come play in the NBA for them. For his part, the 21-year old Bishop says "I do want to play in the NBA someday. But I have to be smart too. And I don't think it's smart to take a paycut to play on a bad team." Privately, some wonder if Bishop fears coming to the NBA off an injury and not performing well hurting his future chances at a longer career and believes doing so in the obscurity of Europe with a larger contract protects him.

Some doubt the youngster will be able to resist playing in the NBA, though some argue that Kansas City wasn't a big enough market to attract the New Jersey native back to US shores. "It'd be different if we were talking a New York team or LA. But Kansas City? I think he might prefer Moscow."

CSKA Moscow is undaunted and has offered him a guaranteed deal and there is also interest in Spain.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-13-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote