View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #62
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I haven't posted on this thread in a while since most of you are already following me on Strava. Since my last post I've been steadily progressing in my training. I've made a few achievements along the way and have updated the first post of this thread.

Now that the 8-week training program has completed I can confidently say that I can run a 5K without stopping. Up next I will be focusing on building my base and slowly increasing my mileage over the next several months. My goal is to increase to 20 miles per week by the end of the year.

Last weekend (June 22) I ran my first 5K (without stopping!!!) and wrote about it on reddit.

Quote:
Wow, what a rush! This morning was my final exam after eight weeks (plus two weeks downtime for injury) of training. I was so anxious I woke up a 4am and couldn't go back to sleep.

So I finally got out of bed at 530 and applied the KT tape for my knee and just read for the next hour before I need to dress and head out to the race. My wife and two year old daughter came for support.

At the race, I saw plenty of different types of runners and walkers. Singles, couples, families (even some with jogging strollers), and large costumed groups! The race director reported over 800 registered runners!

It was a really fun atmosphere. I'm glad I didn't turn on my ZR5K app. It would've been too much of a distraction.

So at the beginning I had to maneuver around the other runners and walkers. By the first 1/2 mile the field finally thinned out and I could establish my pace. My app chimed in at the 1/2 mile report with a faster than usual pace. So I slowed down a bit and settled at a comfortable pace.

I could feel some pain in my legs, but nothing was screaming for me to stop, so I kept going. My lungs felt good. Mouth was a bit dry. I kept going.
At the turnaround I knew I was halfway done. At this point I noticed some familiar runners around me. None of us ran in a pack, but I had my eye on one particular man in green shorts who I mentally designated at my main target to pass.

This helped me keep trucking along because every time I saw Man in Green slow to a walk, I knew I was getting closer. Except his runs were a bit faster than my pace. It was a quite a battle in my head. But I maintained pace.

With less than a mile to go I felt really good. My legs warmed up and the pain disappeared. The KT tape kept my knee supported and pain free.

Strangers were cheering me on. And I picked up my pace. My wife and daughter waited for me about 10 meters from the finish line.

Here, I must confess. I lied. I did STOP right before I completed the 5k. I stopped to give my daughter a hug and kiss, then I walked through the finish line with arms up in victory.

The clock at the finish showed 44:05. My Strava app reported 43:47. Official chipped time was 42:59. My goal was to do it in under 45 minutes. I can't be any happier with my results.

Here I am at the finish line. http://imgur.com/Vn669H7

{Edit} I never did pass the Man in Green.