View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 06:28 AM   #280
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
So I think I've settled on just doing my own thing. How does this look?

WEIGHTS RUNNING
MONDAY OFF OFF
TUESDAY chest/triceps Tempo 60 Minutes
WEDNESDAY OFF Slow 45-60 Minutes
THURSDAY back/biceps OFF
FRIDAY OFF Intervals
SATURDAY legs/shoulders OFF
SUNDAY OFF Long Slow

I can't comment on the strength part of the schedule since I am pretty negligent in that area myself. For the running, probably is fine. it has more speed work and less aerobic work that I personally like for myself, but sounds like what you are looking for. Some reading material that may interest you along those lines if interested are:

Run Less, Run Faster - A book from runner's world based on research done by Furman institute of running and scientific training. They put together their approach to try to make running more approachable for people with less time.

And an example of a marathon training plan from them: http://marathon.harvard.edu/images/first_first.pdf

Their attempt is to try to help people run faster without having to spend as much time on the aerobic base, and there have been people who have been successful with this program. Basically they have a schedule similar to what you are trying to put together, but do it with 3 running days a week. An interval run, a tempo run and a long run.

I know much of the stuff I read and follow have issues with Furman's stuff on this issue that they completely ignore building a solid aerobic base and they disagree with Furman's inferred belief that "easy miles" are "junk miles". But this might be something you are interested in looking at more since it has a good deal of scientific study towards a plan that looks similar to what you want.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote