View Single Post
Old 09-16-2004, 11:21 PM   #94
Huckleberry
College Starter

Holy crap. Our Top 5 rated WRs are all true juniors. Our top 3 TEs are all true seniors. Nice recruiting balance by the previous staff.

Keep in mind, Coach Sca, I'm a first year coach making the move from graduate assistant. That being said, here are my ideas after reviewing the receivers and tight ends (I assume the TEs are under me and not the OL coach). I welcome any input from fellow members of the staff as my TCY experience is very thin:

1.) Remove WR Trent Brodie's redshirt. He is at 65/65, making him both our best receiver and leaving him with no room for improvement so no point in redshirting.

2.) Place a redshirt on TE Calvin Stevenson. Rated 45/70, he has room for development and also is our 2nd TE. If we stick with the trips, there's no reason to have 4 scholarship TEs active.

3.) I like the trips formation with our personnel. Jack Mackie, starting TE, is a great run blocker. We have good options at WR even though we might be redshirting our two most talented players, both WRs. Our WR and TE young talent surpasses our backs talent at this point. Young freshman TE Kevin Gilman is loaded with ability, and projects to a very good run blocker.

4.) WR Corps - Trent Brodie is our go to guy when we need a first down. Decent big play ability, but his willingness to go over the middle is his biggest asset. Good hands. Kenneth Wertz and Butch Washington will be better deep threats. I would like your opinions on which two to redshirt from this group. Givens and Clark are the two left with redshirts after Brodie's is pulled, but these two guys both scream superstar.

5.) A huge caveat on this entire report. Our local scout is rated Terrible for receivers.

Recruiting

I've only made a cursory look, but I would like to recommend we take a look at TE Corey Adams and WR Byron Tinsley, who both attend East Columbus High in Lake Waccamaw. Adams idolizes our school.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings

Last edited by Huckleberry : 09-16-2004 at 11:23 PM.
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote