View Single Post
Old 03-25-2021, 06:39 PM   #293
skrath
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
At this point there is probably a reason for this.

I ended up recruiting this C/PF from Spain. He is ranked fairly high(150th) but he is 7 foot and doesnt do much of anything. You would think with a 7 foot 6 wingspan he would block a lot of shots(na). So while he is attainable at this point and probably the highest recruit I can get at this point he seems like a wasted recruit.

Strengths
Solid on the offensive glass

Weaknesses
Very little upside
Could be a better passer from the post
Poor overall offensive awareness
Not a prolific or aggressive scorer
Game needs more consistency
Can sometimes be too passive
Doesn't have a high basketball IQ
Not overly athletic
Struggles to stay engaged in the post

And no worries, I wont be upset if one of you come in and snag him from me, lol....

Positioning and timing matters for blocking as well as their natural blocking ability, but this is mostly typical of low rated big man high school recruits -- big bodies and little else (either that, or they're skilled and undersized). If you have height AND talent you tend to be very highly rated. Keep in mind their ratings are scaled to college, so a guy who dominated in HS may not do as well in college.

But yes, what PM said -- by the very fact that they are in the post, they are likely to block more shots as size also matters.

Depending on the Philosophy you're running, you may find he works better in your system than whatever system he was playing in High School.

As Thomkal said above, don't be scared to dive down a bit. Just because a player is a "2 star", once they are scouted they can actually be really useful players, and their Recruiting Star Rating does not necessarily correspond to their college ability. This is deliberate to allow deep diving and finding some diamonds in the rough.

You are behind coming into recruiting half way through, so just see this recruiting period as a chance to get to know the system and come in with experience next recruiting. Definitely save some scholarships and fill the rest of your roster with walk-ons (you can do this my going to My Team > Scholarships > Walk-On Tryouts).

Last edited by skrath : 03-25-2021 at 06:40 PM.
skrath is offline   Reply With Quote