View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #105
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The transition isn't going to be smooth, but I guess I don't understand why commercials have to be boring and annoying and awful, as they have throughout history (with a few exceptions).

Isn't there a way to overcome that?

Let's say I'm Coke, and I want to advertise on TV. Can't I hire professional actors and writers and put together 30 minutes or an hour that's actually entertaining, and something people want to see? Distribute it freely to the world on the internet. Cut out the TV networks (or start your own cable channel).

I don't see how. If Coke wanted to do something like that solely for itself, it would need to create a show that is not about Coke but entertaining on its own merit, and then they'd have to somehow work Coke references or product placements all over it. But I have no idea how you'd price something like that to make it work. Would it be better for Coke to just "hire out" The Office, say, and run a soccer-like, continuous small Coke ad in one corner the whole show, or would they need people parading around with Cokes in their hands and talking about how great Coke is for it to really work (in whatever way marketers figure that kind of stuff out)? I don't know/understand enough about marketing to know what would make sense.

Personally, if I knew what I'd be watching was basically an infomercial with real actors trying to entertain me but principally selling a product, I'd pass.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-06-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote