View Single Post
Old 04-11-2020, 05:32 PM   #15
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

FA2/Camp

I'm even more frustrated/terrified with our OL situation as we get into FA2 and I'm actually looking at this team. I don't think we're that bad generally, but we're bad enough on the line to just completely sink us.

There's nothing in FA2 out there to really help us, especially at the tackle spot where we're woeful (?)... horrendous (?)... abysmal. We're really bad there. I might sign some mid 40s guards and just play them there.

I'm looking at some potential trades. We do have a million of these picks now. We end up making a bad one, two 1sts and two 2nds in this coming draft. It's most of the bounty we got for our draft day moves this year, with a future 1st from Chicago still lurking around. We end up with a 3rd year RT from Colorado who our scout sees as a 67/74 on the roster. He's a former first rounder so he's got two years left at very low $1-2m salaries when we get him. He's willing to turn those two years into a $30m/4yr deal that we have the wiggle room to execute this year.

I did some funny math eyeballing of the bonuses at the top of the draft before pulling the trigger on this one. I don't think we're ever going to sign a top 5-10 pick, especially that top 5 range. Apples to apples on four year deals, those guys are all making a good chunk more than this 4yr deal we just signed this dude to from a cap hit standpoint.

I'm talking myself into this though. We just traded an absolute haul to not be a dumpster fire on the line this coming year. The cheap extension is a nice trick to think about for the future. Especially since we are suddenly shying away from.. making draft picks. *checks temperature*

T Sean Flowers will be a key part of this thing. I don't need to keep taking 2nd round linebackers. We'll see what happens with this guy. We sprinkle in two veteran stiffs (who are better than our young stiffs) in FA2 as well. We got to camp with 55 and a little cap space. I'll do a roster look at the end of the preseason before we roll forward.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote