View Single Post
Old 04-13-2020, 10:07 AM   #26
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

FA2/Camp

WR Ackerman and DE Boone are holding out.

I was probably leaning slightly toward Ackerman as the one of the two guys we might be able to bring back. Boone has two years left. We snuck one of these extensions with two years left on his rookie deal onto him. Now he wants $100m/4yrs. I am noodling on that a little before we run this same extension trick on three more guys during this FA2 phase. Boone at $6m/yr is a steal for our world. We don't really have alternatives for a 76/76 DE at that price, even if he's a better run defender than pass rusher. And even if we've been eyeing him as the one guy who makes any money on this team who we could probably replace with something comparable through the draft or depth.

Bottom line, we're not doing anything new with Boone. He's a great deal on his current contract, but not a perfect fit as a player. For what he's asking, he'd need to play QB for us too.

We're able to bring WR Cooper Blanchard back for about half what he was asking as an RFA during the FA1 period. We also extend, DT Wolcott and MLB Ferguson. We go off script a little bit and extend LB Devan Henry in the same way. He wanted to jump into that $15-$17m world, but we didn't have to quite get there and we were able to cut him a little in year 1 to sneak under for this year. He's a stud and has the versatility to play DE for us if that's where the need takes us.

We're setting up to franchise one of the WRs after this year. Our late 2nd round draftee, WR Donnie Farmer, is sitting on the roster at 42/58 right now in FA2. I don't know exactly how he'll make it through the preseason, but that current number makes me more comfortable we'll have something competent in place next offseason if we had to lose both of our holdover starters.

We're not giving anything to the holdout guys. I hope they come play for us.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote