View Single Post
Old 01-30-2022, 01:44 PM   #2928
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I can agree with all of this except 4.

Actually, if I could trust that everyone would agree that he was pulling a Trent Dilfer, I would be all on board. However, way too many people are going to look at Jimmy G. beating Prescott, Rodgers, Stafford and either Mahomes or Burrow on the road and come to a different conclusion.

I don't agree with the premise. There are elements of manager in Garoppolo, but the criticism is that he will take too many chances, even on plays that should be lower in risk. Overall, he completes a high percentage of his passes and puts the ball in where his receivers can move. His good throws are often great throws.

What that adds up to, in my opinion, is a slightly better than average starter who can thrive in the right system. We do not know, yet, how he will do in a system that requires a quarterback to sometimes take on a huge load. The fact that he was valued so much in New England suggests that maybe he can handle it.

Dilfer was a thoroughly below-average starter who happened to play (only one year - intended as a backup, they knew better) a team with a fantastic defense (the average score in the games he started for Baltimore was 26-8). He was so bad in relief of Tony Banks in 2000 that by the time the playoffs rolled around, they mostly handed the ball to rookie Jamal Lewis (103 rushing attempts in the four playoff games). It really didn't matter. Ravens' opponents scored 23 points in the playoffs, period. None of the games were close.

Garoppolo would have thrown more last week if it weren't a weather game, and he is throwing in key situations in close games. I think he gets a bum rap, but he has to cut down on the picks if he wants to ever be considered among the top tier quarterbacks.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote