View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #265
Tasan
College Starter

Interlude 10

The Triton pilot invites MrBug708 II and BYU 14 to sit up with him. The passenger compartment was an empty place with only two troops. When the craft docks at Atlantic, the engineers meet the ship and start unloading, a task usually left to the returning troops. Chief Rum II, on crutches, greets the two returning aquanauts and brings them back to the infirmary to be checked out. Nobody says much of anything. BYU 14 is probably the hardest hit. hoopsguy, chesapeake, and him were the last ones left from the original squad. Considering the fact he was ordered to stay aboard the Triton after flipping out, their deaths weigh heavy on his mind.

The 'Cuda we sent out to intercept the small sub encountered before the last mission could not reach its target before running out of fuel. The sub was tracked to a landing site, but with only two healthy aquanauts, we can't possibly launch to investigate.

The haul from the last alien vessel was substantial. We sell off all unnecessary items for right at $4.5 million. With this new money, we order another living quarters and workshop for Atlantic, and another living quarters and lab for South China Sea. We also request 10 more aquanauts beyond our last order for Atlantic and 9 technicians. The hope was that once South China Sea came online, we could split up a lot of our experience between the two bases. With our losses, there isn't much to split anymore, so we'll probably just use who we have at each base.

At this point, X-COM is basically out of operations for 18 hours, waiting on new recruits. My hotline rings, and we get the worst news we could possibly hope for. Aliens have been spotted on the island of Midway in the Pacific Ocean. They are terrorizing a resort there. If we do nothing and let it happen, we face Pacific area nations pulling out of the UN and taking their funding with them. If we send our two lone troopers, we risk losing them, the Triton, and the funding. If we somehow pull it off, we save our butts quite a bit of grief.

I decide talk with MrBug708 II about the gamble. He's ready to go without hesitation. BYU 14 didn't even have to be asked. As the last of the originals, he feels its his duty to avenge their loss any way he can. If we lose the Triton, we can replace her easy enough. We'll send it in on remote so the pilot doesn't have to worry. With much trepidation, I give the order. The Triton is unloaded save for the equipment two men will need. I hope this one isn't one way.